Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Ohio BBQ

Ohio BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:41 pm
Angio333 rare
rare

I'm looking for a really good sitdown BBQ restaurant to go to for my birthday in January. The restaurant should be within 45 minutes of Cleveland, Ohio. I already know about Famous Daves, Smokey Bones,Moosehead, Hoggys, and Bubba's Q (my favorite). Thanks in advance.
- C

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:41 pm
Michigan Fats well done
well done

I would recommend buying yourself a new smoker for your b-day and smoke something yourself. It will taste a lot better that what you were going to get from Famous Daves.
Al

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:35 pm

Unfortunately, I think you're in the wrong part of the country to find a good bbq joint. And I feel your pain having moved to Cincinnati (actually just south of in KY) from Texas where there's a bbq joint on every corner. This is what led me to my new hobby: making my own Q. A blessing and a curse, I suppose.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:46 pm

I bet you do miss the good stuff from Texas!!! How do you like the "Sheep BBQ" there in KY??? I've not had it (yet), but I just can't imagine it to be too good unless you drown it in sauce!

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 pm

I can't even get that! I'm in Northern, KY but I've got some friends a bit south towards Lexington and Owenboro who used to talk about it. That is, until they came up for one of my bbqs and I introduced them to proper bbq like brisket, boston butts, and spareribs! Who bbqs a sheep anyway??!!!
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:01 pm
Michigan Fats well done
well done

Mutton(sheep) is a big thing in Kentucky.
Al

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Michigan Fats wrote:
Mutton(sheep) is a big thing in Kentucky.

I know this. I just don't know why. :?

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:10 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Find yourself a decent burgoo place.
Even if you have to drive a bit it'll be worth it.

In the Southeastern states it's Brunswick stew
that's the must try, in Kentucky it's burgoo.
In the central South it's gumbo or jambalaya.

Google it and find a decent recipe and give it a try.
(Still haven't come to terms with the Q'd mutton thing though)

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Yep. It's my experience that Burgoo is a very fluid recipe i.e. whatever you have goes in the pot, and it simmers all day. "hmm, looks a little dry...pour the rest of your beer in...and some whiskey"

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:48 am
whitepine raw
raw

When I lived in Cleveland Bubba Q`s was hands down my favorite, but looks
like you`ve already experienced their great food. Don`t think anything
up there can compete with `ol Bubba.
Straight Kentucky Bourbon

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:11 pm
Angio333 rare
rare

Bubba's is by far my favorite. I eat there at least once a month.
- C

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:56 pm
KAL8080 medium-rare
medium-rare

Im seeing this post a little late but if your ever around the Youngstown area there is a phenomenal place called Barry Dyngle's there. They serve Armadillo's barbecue whom have won countless awards around the country. It truly is worth a stop. I eat there at least 4 or 5 times a month. I travel to the midwest and south a lot on business and their stuff is comparable to,if not better than, most.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:58 pm
Angio333 rare
rare

Thanks KAL8080. I was born and raised in the Youngstown area. I'll have to checkout Barry Dyngles the next time I visit my parents.
- C

Return to Best BBQ Joint