Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Kentucky BBQ

Kentucky BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:35 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Well, my class in Washington State got cancelled, and it's now being held in Richmond, Kentucky. Maybe Qjuju could answer this question for me? Any good hot spots for me to check out while I'm there (BBQ joints, restaurants, attractions, etc.)? I'll be there at the end of March for about a week. T.I.A.!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:11 pm
QJuju well done
well done

My stock answer is there isn't any good barbecue in Kentucky! :lol: Jucy's is in Louisville its pretty good. I haven't been to Richmond much so I can only tell about places on the web or that I have heard about. Like Sonny's, Billy's or Old Kentucky Barbecue. I do recall someone mentioning or I read somewhere about a place in Lexington that was worth a look. I will try to find that and post it ASAP.

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:29 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks a lot, Qjuju! :D I've eaten at Sonny's in GA, which is pretty good, but never had the other ones you just mentioned.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am
QJuju well done
well done

On the way home last night I realized I should have said... My House. :lol: I live about 2 hours from Richmond, but if you have the time let me know. The place I was thinking about was Butt Rub Barbecue in Lexington. We had our convention in Lexington this year and some folks were talking about it. I didn't get to go, too busy, but the reviews are acceptable.

I guess the real Kentucky barbecue is out in the western part of the state. Mutton at places like Moonlight and Ole Hickory Pit are part of the local lore. I have tried it, but mutton isn't my favorite and I don't really care for the heavy Worcestershire based sauces as much as NC vinegar and even some sweeter red sauces. My wife says if you get the rub right... you don't need sauce! I tend to agree.

Sorry about the ramblings... hope that helps!

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:35 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks a lot, Qjuju!!! That does help indeed! I'm not sure if I'm driving or flying yet, so I'm not sure what kind of transportation I'll be able to use. If I'm flying, I'll just rent a car when I get there and check some places out after getting out of my class. But if I have to take my department's company vehicle, I'm not going to be able to travel too far from Richmond. :cry:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Well, the only BBQ joint I was able to hit in Richmond was Sonny's...pretty good place, but it's nothing out of the ordinary, as it's a pretty common chain BBQ joint. You're right Qjuju, there wasn't much in Richmond... :lol: But it was a very pretty drive. Glad to get back home though. I had planned to hit a BBQ joint on the way back, but I was too tired and ready to get back to the house. So dinner was a bag of Krystal's burgers to go... :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 am
QJuju well done
well done

It is pretty out that way for sure...

The barbecue landscape around here is pretty dismal, but I know we are all sort of spoiled by good que from the backyard. :D I found a new place called Texicans BBQ Pit on Hwy 146 close to Crestwood. This guy is doing it right! I posted a review on my website for the 2 or 3 people that visit. :)

Glad you had a good trip and there is nothing like getting back home to be sure.

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33 am

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but rather than start another on KY Q I figured I'd ask...

Does anyone know of a really good Q-joint in/around Frankfort? I'm heading there this summer for a few days for work and would like to try some good mutton. Anyone know of any good spots???

Thanks in advance!

Return to Best BBQ Joint