Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Dickey's BBQ

Dickey's BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:06 pm
Woodbutcher68 well done
well done

A new place opened here about a month ago called Dickey's BBQ. I found out that it's part of a chain that started in 1941 and is now in 31 states. The owner was on a local radio station talking about it , so I went there that afternoon. I didn't let him know that I had called the radio station while he was on, until after I had sampled his food. I ordered a two meat plate for $9.95 and got Brisket and Pulled Pork along with 2 sides of my choice and a roll. (You get your choice of 6 meats and about 10 sides) There are also free pickles and ice cream at a self serve station. After I introduced myself, the owner brought me 3 ribs to try and showed me his kitchen and Southern Pride cooker. I went back on Saturday with my girlfriend who is also a KCBS Certified BBQ Judge. She was as impressed as I was with this fast food BBQ chain and is thinking about us opening a location in a nearby city.
I've been judging BBQ competitions for 3 years and she just did her first year. We both agreed that the meat we had would place high in a competition and surpasses that stuff that some "famous" guy named Dave puts out. If there's a location near you, I'd definately give it a try.
Perfect Flame 5 Burner
CG SuperPro w/SFB and RiboLator

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:24 am

I've been to the Dickey's in Cary, NC, in Durham, NC, and at the airport in Nashville, TN. I discovered that they can differ vastly at each location. The moist and tender pulled pork that I got at the Cary location was dry and chewy in Durham. I don't remember too much from the Nashville experience because I was rushed between flights and just grabbed a sandwich.

I've been KCBS and MBN certified (as well as North Carolina Pork Council) and would be hard pressed to even rate the Cary fare as award winning. But like I pointed out - each Dickey's is different.

Post Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:11 pm
Woodbutcher68 well done
well done

I talked to a friend of mine last night after I posted this. He said the food at the airports was inconsistent, but better at the stand alone restaurants.
Perfect Flame 5 Burner
CG SuperPro w/SFB and RiboLator

Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 am

I'll be dawged if they didn't go and open another Dickey's in downtown Raleigh!!! This new one is just down the street from Clyde Cooper's - an Eastern NC style mecca in Raleigh. Just down the street from "The Pit" also.

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:10 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Apparently a Dickey's opened here in Madison not too long ago, and there are also locations in Eau Claire and Green Bay. Not that I'd make a special trip to try it but I might give it a try if I'm in the area.

Anybody else eaten at one recently?

Brad

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:57 am

If you do decide to try a "Dickey's", I'd suggest the brisket. The pork just isn't all that great. I've not tried ribs there yet.
Tom
CMJ-KCBS, NCBBQA
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,SBN
Pitmaster-"4 Lil' Pigs" BBQ Team"
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:56 pm
HND medium-well
medium-well

our dickeys around here is awful. not consistant.

to be honest, i've not been to one that is really all that impressive.

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:26 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

One of these is opening near my office...

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to Best BBQ Joint