Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Rochester, NY (Dinosaur and Sticky Lips)

Rochester, NY (Dinosaur and Sticky Lips)

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:35 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I'd heard these were very well-respected up there. Tried both. Excellent sides, but I guess 'cue doesn't always translate regionally. Brisket was rubbery at both. Ribs were OK but falling-off-the-bone, and Dinosaur mixes Memphis and KC styles with both rub AND sweet Sauce. Pulled pork was very good at Dinosaur, but tasteless at Stick Lips (though S.L. had a very well-seasoned chicken leg and thigh.)

Beer was very good at both, but Dinosaur had an extraordinary selection, a live blues/oldies band and overall excellent atmosphere and great service.

Sticky Lips got my dining companions order wrong on two items, but let him keep the mistakes at no charge. I guess I'd compare them both to a chain like Famous Dave's, Certainly good enough, but not something to rave about unless you live in upstate NY.

Wings at Dinosaur were outstanding .... got the Habanero hot ... Smokey and grilled as opposed to typical fried Buffalo variety.
Last edited by phillyjazz on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What did you think of Sticky Lips' sauce? I had a bottle of it last year and thought it was pretty good.

Brad

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:43 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

It's funny that you'd mention Famous Dave's. I've never heard of that chain before today...what a coincidence! Earlier tonight, I picked up a bottle of the Famous Dave's Sweet and Zesty BBQ Sauce and tried it out on some ribs. Not too bad, but I've had better. It was better than SBR Original, but not as good as SBR Honey Chipotle IMHO. I've had both the Dinosaur and Sticky Lips sauces before, too, and also thought they were "pretty good."
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:59 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
What did you think of Sticky Lips' sauce? I had a bottle of it last year and thought it was pretty good.

Brad

I tried a little of the "Cherry Bomb." It was good. I am a fan of sweet sauces, and usually use Sweet Baby Ray as a go-to bottle-brand. Then again. making a good sweet sauce is not rocket science :wink:
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Return to Best BBQ Joint