Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint An unexpected find in Fort Thomas, KY

An unexpected find in Fort Thomas, KY

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Tue May 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Fort Thomas, KY is a suburb of Cincinnati just a few miles south across the river. It's kind of a quaint town that would make you feel like you're stuck in the 50s. There is a pub there that typically used to draw a younger crowd, but during my past few visits I've experienced a more diverse crowd.

With the opening of a dining patio, I think they started taking their food a little more seriously. Case in point, the brisket sammich.

I wasn't even going to eat, but my lovely lady noticed it on the menu so I asked the waitress about it. It sounded legit so I ordered it.

It was pretty doggone delicious. Their "Texas Sauce" actually reminded me of sauce I'd had in small bbq joints in TX. The brisket was very tender and had a good smokiness in the bark.

I was surprised to say the least. This is a place that has typical pub fare like burgers, nachos, and quesadillas - items that take no more than 10 minutes to make. However, I did ask the cook about the brisket and he said that they cook it on the smoker with oak for at least 8 hours and finish by roasting it with a bit of the sauce.

The name of the pub is the Olde Fort Pub if you ever find yourself close to it and are looking for a place to eat.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Tue May 24, 2011 7:28 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice find! I have a trip to southern Ohio scheduled for August; I don't know if I'll have the time to visit Olde Fort Pub but I'll certainly keep it in mind.

Brad

Return to Best BBQ Joint