Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint The County Line, San Antonio, TX

The County Line, San Antonio, TX

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:15 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Ok, so I know everyone has their own opinions about their favorite BBQ joints, so don't shoot the messenger here if you don't agree with me... :lol: But my friends, my wife and I had a terrific time and dinner tonight at The County Line on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. IMHO, the food was really good.

After getting out of my work conference, we got a chance to visit The Alamo.

It was pretty interesting... Hard to believe so many people died in such a beautiful location.

After sightseeing a little, we decided to check out The County Line.

My wife and I split a plate full of Brisket, a huge Beef Rib (I mean HUGE), two sausages, some beans and some garlic mashed potatoes. We couldn't even finish the plate by tag teaming it.. :shock:

Our couple friends ordered The Big Daddy slab of beef ribs...

Our waiter was really cool, and he even brought us some extra sausage on the house.... :)

All in all, this was some great BBQ, in our opinions. I've had better brisket before though...this one was a little dry. The sausage was killer though...so were the beef ribs. The sauce that went with both was very, very good too. Terrific smoke flavor on everything as well.

Just to give y'all a heads up, if you try this place out, be sure to share a plate with your significant other....otherwise, you'll have a lot of leftovers to take back with you.

Sorry for the low quality pix btw....using my phone this week.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:22 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It all looks good to me but I'd definitely order the sausage!

So are you on vacation or is this a work trip with Mrs. Dyal tagging along?

Brad

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:02 am

I was there in 2007 and had a wonderful meal!!!
I got the "Bar-B-Q Sampler" appetizer - Smoked turkey, sausage, beef brisket, beef rib, and pork ribs. WOW! What a feast!! The brisket was a wee bit chewy. Sausage okay. Roast turkey was wonderful (without sauce). Beef rib was very chewy and dry. Pork ribs were really good. Everything was drenched in thick rich sauce with a cup of it to dip in too. Good stuff!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS, NCBBQA
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,SBN
Pitmaster-"4 Lil' Pigs" BBQ Team"
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:23 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Brad, this was a work conference; however, my wife decided to tag along with me since she's been way overdue for a break from work herself. A couple of other guys' wives tagged along too. It has been fun, but I'm ready to get back to my egg. ;)

Q lover, did you go to the one on the Riverwalk? The sauce that we had was on the thin side, and it penetrated the meat perfectly. Maybe they have changed it up since you've last been there... I almost forgot about the turkey...I took a bite of it off my buddy's plate. It had a great smoky taste, and seasoned just right. Some of the best Q from a restaurant I've had in a long time...
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:26 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Ate at County Line back in 2002 and yeah, it's really good, but check my comments in previous post - Head for The Hills! I've probably eaten in 20 or 25 over the years, from the mediocre to the I wish I could eat here every day. Best of them all is Chisholm Trail in Lockhart. Least known of Lockhart's Big 4, but it is where the locals go for their barbecue and they have a good reason to. Best brisket I have ever had and sausage and ribs are pretty darn good to. Been there 6 or 7 times over the years and I could eat there every day!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 am
Griffin well done
well done

Glad it worked out for you. I guess the County Line on the riverwalk is hit or miss. I do remember their sausage being good though. And I totally forgot about their bread till I saw it in your picture.

Cactus - we drove through lockhart yesterday but didn't stop (also went through Luling and didn't stop :( ). It always surprises me that Smitty's and Kreuz are closed on Sundays. But Chisolm and Blacks sure do take advantage of that.

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:36 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

With all of the good barbecue joints within 30 or 40 miles of Austin and San Antonio, guess I kind of wondered why anyone down here barbecues at home and then I walk into a HEB and take look at the meat case.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to Best BBQ Joint