Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Shealy's BBQ, Batesburg-Leesville, SC

Shealy's BBQ, Batesburg-Leesville, SC

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:46 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

This place is about 25-30 minutes from my current house. I think I ate here years and years ago, when I lived further away. Seems like that was before their sauce really took off in grocery stores in SC. When my wife was a little girl, she used to live in this community...she probably ate here on a regular basis growing up. Anyways, my wife and I were in the area today, so we decided to give it a go for lunch.

Their sauce is the definition of what a SC Mustard Based Sauce is all about. It's my favorite store-bought SC mustard based sauce. I didn't realize it, but their sauce plant is right next door to their restaurant.

This restaurant is classic South Carolina BBQ... a buffet with a wide variety of SC favorites: Collards, Rice and Hash, Mustard-Based Pulled Pork, Fried Chicken, Mac n Cheese, Green Beans, Corn Bread, Creamed Corn, Baked Beans, etc., etc., etc.... they also have Vinegar-Based Pulled Pork for those Carolinians a little north of here.... :roll: :wink:

I like a good white sausage gravy over my fried chicken.... so good it makes my lips quiver.... :wink: Their fried chicken was my favorite part... I devoured two pieces that were freshly out of the fryer. Have mercy.... :shock: Soooo good!

As a self-proclaimed BBQ connoisseur, I have to say that their pulled pork isn't my favorite. It's very good, don't get me wrong...it's just not my favorite. I prefer a stronger smoke flavor that you get in a backyard Q.... but you won't find that in any restaurant. I also prefer pulled pork without the sauce "infused" into the meat....that's a PERSONAL preference though....I tend to lean toward the sauce poured on top...that way you taste the meat, and then the sauce after the smoky pork flavor.... Their Mustard-Based sauce though is the bee's knees... classic South Carolina. If any of you are interested in ordering their sauce, PM me and I'll send you the information.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:51 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a good-looking plate right there. I love a good sausage gravy, whether it's over biscuits or country-fried animal parts.

Return to Best BBQ Joint