Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint MEMPHIS!!!

MEMPHIS!!!

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 am
Michigan Fats well done
well done

Another_Q_Lover wrote:
jloh wrote:
Memphis has good ribs....so does KC....but ribs ain't "BBQ"....

bbq is eastern NC style pulled pork...preferably whole hog. everything else is just grilled food...

Welcome jloh!

Unfortunately, most folks don't share our knowledge of barbecue being a noun meaning "Pork, usually whole-hog, chopped or pulled, slow roasted over coals, with a thin sauce on the meat to enhance the flavor".

Be it Eastern style or Lexington style, you just can't beat North Carolina for good Q!!!

Everything else is the verb (or adverb) "barbecued" or "grilled", but not the noun that we know and love!!!

Sounds like BBQ envy to me...
Al

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:01 am

Michigan Fats wrote:
Another_Q_Lover wrote:
jloh wrote:
Memphis has good ribs....so does KC....but ribs ain't "BBQ"....

bbq is eastern NC style pulled pork...preferably whole hog. everything else is just grilled food...

Welcome jloh!

Unfortunately, most folks don't share our knowledge of barbecue being a noun meaning "Pork, usually whole-hog, chopped or pulled, slow roasted over coals, with a thin sauce on the meat to enhance the flavor".

Be it Eastern style or Lexington style, you just can't beat North Carolina for good Q!!!

Everything else is the verb (or adverb) "barbecued" or "grilled", but not the noun that we know and love!!!

Sounds like BBQ envy to me...

No, not envy, just fact (IMHO)!

I've tried most of the rest (and still search out BBQ EVERYWHERE I go!), but I'll stick with my statement about "barbecue" being a noun, and the definition!

Now, don't get me wrong - I like ALL kinds of "barbecued" meats and things, but 'THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!!!

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:21 am
MitchSchaft medium-well
medium-well

Whatever helps you sleep at night ;).

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:14 am

Been away from memphis 10 years and every time I come throught I make a point of eating at interstate and at rendevouz--can't go wrong with memphis!

Post Wed May 05, 2010 1:27 pm
warthog1 medium-rare
medium-rare

Glad I ran into this thread. Wife and I are heading for Memphis this Saturday. Going to MIM but will also do some of the BBQ joints mentioned. Can't wait.
UDS, Char Griller, Webber 3
"TWO HUNGRY HOGS" BBQ team

Post Thu May 13, 2010 10:36 am
warthog1 medium-rare
medium-rare

Heading over to MIM now at Tom Lee park.

Post Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:04 pm
Blazer well done
well done

I read this entire thread and no mention of Marlows. I figured that at least ONE person would have visited Graceland and Marlows is just down from there. I passed on Graceland, but Marlows was a wonderful experience in itself. The ribs were perfection, the catfish was even better, but the "cue" was to die for. The pink caddys weren't exactly my style, but the place, over all, was very memorable.
Char-Broil Quickset Gasser
Brinkmann Dual Zone Charcoal Pro Grill
Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Water Smoker
"The Bucket"

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:34 pm
Blazer well done
well done

Made it to Leonards this past week. Nothing to write home about there. If you are looking for decent cue, it is decent. They have a buffet that is easy on the budget and that may be the best part the visit.
Char-Broil Quickset Gasser
Brinkmann Dual Zone Charcoal Pro Grill
Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Water Smoker
"The Bucket"

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:06 pm
warthog1 medium-rare
medium-rare

Best ribs I had in Memphis were from the BBQ Shop. Their BBQ Spaghetti was real good too.

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:45 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Hi all! Long time since I've been here!
Spent a couple of days in Memphis last month - my first, but not last, trip.
Had the dry ribs from the Rendezvous - thought they were great - everything I had ever heard or read about them. Also ate at Neely's on Jefferson - everything was really good - ribs, tips, pulled pork, and chicken wings. I'm a wing guy and really enjoyed Neely's.
Think the best barbecue that I may have missed was a guy by the side of the road, on Elvis Presley Blvd about a mile from Graceland, that was cooking ribs and shoulder on an old barrel pit using pecan wood. Everything looked and smelled great - unfortunately we had just had lunch and I had no way to store some away for later. Next time I go to Memphis I'm definetely going to try to find him again.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Previous

Return to Best BBQ Joint