Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint South Carolina Lowcountry BBQ

South Carolina Lowcountry BBQ

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:04 pm
bupo107 rare
rare

Music Man's is a fine BBQ restaurant in Moncks Corner, SC - and if you're ever in the area (or traveling East on I-26 to or from Charleston) it is well worth the detour. Moncks Corner is about 45 miles from downtown Charleston.

While the pulled pork is extremely good - the ribs alone are worth the trip. I've always been a bit of a rib snob - with high quality ribs being harder to find (usually) than good pulled or sliced pork.

Well - this place will make you a believer.

Well worth the trip!

Also - around Holly Hill, SC is the famous Sweatman's which has been the pinnacle of good BBQ in the area for years and years.
Bupo107
www.outdoorculinary.com

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:28 pm

I'd like to add a BBQ place in the Low Country area to the list.....
The SmokeHouse on Hilton Head Island, SC is really good with some of the best ribs I've ever had from a public eating place.
It is located just before Sea Pines traffic circle on Hilton Head Island.

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:56 am
michiganbutcher medium-rare
medium-rare

You guys are making me sad! My wife and I lived in North Charleston for several years before coming home to Michigan to start our family. Our dream is to raise the family, retire and move to Sommerville, SC (my wife worked there and we fell in love with it!). That was 20 years ago, so I'm sure the place has changed a lot.

But getting back on topic here - some of the best southern food I ever tasted was in Charleston and Savannah. Where I first tryed pulled pork, collard greens, southern ham (real southern ham - the one that's got a kick to it), and even grits - hard to get good grits here in Michigan! We eloped to Charleston 20 years ago this year - we are talking about going down there for a week for our 25th anniversary - I hope these places are still around!

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Bluffton BBQ, in Bluffton, SC (just before Hilton Head on the mainland, located on Rt 46, May River Rd, just down from the Piggly Wiggly is fantastic!.

Ken is the owner, pitmaster and he's really nice. Ribs and BBQ pork are about a 9.5 (only mine are better :mrgreen: ) and it's a tiny outdoor seating only place with about 6 or 8 picnic tables. Food smoked right there, on site right next to the picnic tables.
There's a little fillin' station next door that has glass bottles of Cheer Wine soda on ice, right by the door.
CheerWine and 'Q =Pure Heaven!

Phone # is: 843-815-PORK
He's open Thursday lunch untill Saturday afternoon when the meat runs out.

Dave H.

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:35 pm
Buddy26 rare
rare

Sweatmans in Holyhill

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:54 pm
SCmustardman well done
well done

After hearing many praises for Sweatmans, I finally found it. It lived up to its reputation and then some. You cannot beat their $10 all you can eat buffet.They even have ribs on the buffet. Most places charge $15 just for ribs. It is hard to find since it is on an old country road surrounded by soybean fields. Of course that is part of its charm. I keep trying to find a reason to go to that area so I can stop by again for lunch.
I've never had a bad day barbequeing or fishing. I've just had some that were better than others.

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:03 pm

I kinda liked "Maurice's" in Santee. It sure was different than any NC Q!!!, But that is why it is SC Q!!!

I got the "Big Pig Combo" and couldn't believe how much stuff there was on the platter! The meal consisted of: a quarter of a pound of pit-cooked BBQ pork, 6 ounces of sliced Beef Brisket, 2 pieces of juicy slow cooked BBQ Chicken (Leg & Thigh), 2 large tender BBQ Beef Ribs, Carolina Hash over Rice, homemade Cole Slaw, Hushpuppies and a toasted Dinner Roll. WOW! Lots of food, even for 2 of us!!!

Everythng had mustard based BBQ sauce on it. Not bad, but definitely different! The hash was not expected, but good.

Propaganda was interesting too! Gotta see it to believe it!!!

Return to Best BBQ Joint