Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Any good BBQ places in the DC/MD/VA area?

Any good BBQ places in the DC/MD/VA area?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:24 am
BBQ101 rare
rare

:lol: Andy's is good but I still think Lefty's in Waldorf is the Best in the State.
If it smell's like smoke I must be Cookin!!!

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:36 pm

I have been busy and kinda forgot to post my experience at George's on 210. It was all I remember. The pork was real good. I didn't give anything else a try. The atmosphere leaves something to be desired but, those are usually the best places.

I am now in Colo. Springs, CO for the next month. I saw that there is a thread on the area and I will have to check out some of the spots.
-Bomb Buster
AKA C. B. Harris

Post Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:12 am
dinger

I would have to agree on Dixie Bones in Woodbridge, VA. The food is awesome and the service is better! We either eat in or take out almost weekly!

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:04 am
stickman medium
medium

A few more updates on Q in our area.

BBQ Country near Bealeton - You gotta go because the food is excellent. The portions are generous, the ribs are just smoky enough, and the sides are good as well. I have had the chicken and that is really good too, but the ribs did the trick for me. This place is just off of Rte 29, but it's easy to miss because it is kind of hidden in a little truck stop area. As posted earlier, be sure to check out the flying circus airshow if you are there on a Sunday in the Summer: http://www.flyingcircusairshow.com/. Grab some ribs and watch some planes!

Urban BBQ in Rockville - Another one worth visiting. The food is great and the place has a fun vibe. I liked the ribs here and I think I have had other things as well, but I really remember the ribs. This is just off Rockville Pike near the Twinbrook Shopping center and across the street from Guitar Center. Parking can be kind of a nuisance, but it's worth it. Here is a link to their site:
http://www.urbanbbqco.com/pages/about.htm

Bon appetit!
Stickman

PS: I found out about Urban BBQ from WETA's neighborhood eats show. You should definitely check out the show for all kinds of good dining ideas if you live in the area . Here is the page for that http://www.weta.org/tv/eats.php. They used to have the show online, but I don't see the link for that now. Maybe you can find it in case I'm having operator headspace

Post Sun May 20, 2007 9:38 am

I've read through the responses and am happy to see quite a few of the great places I've come to love around the DC area. However, I'm from Fredericksburg and was surprised to see no mention of some great places to chow down; I'll annotate based on my own experiences (some have been discussed, I'll give my insight):

Virginia Barbecue (Regional Chain; Ashland, Fredericksburg, Stafford, Spotsylvania): Great little place that has no frills pit thrills! Especially enjoy their sweet Virginia pulled pork--a little kick in the sauce at the end. The chain has been expanding over the last couple of years, with rumors indicating that they are installing a location in Massaponax.

Allman's Barbecue (Indiv. Location; Fredericksburg): A Fredericksburg classic, the store, recipe, and many of the regulars haven't changed in 50 years. They provide a limited menu that focuses on the pulled pork. Onion Rings are the side of choice. If you want an experience, go to Allman's. They have recently opened an additional 'satellite' location near Big Lots in Fredericksburg.

BBQ Country (Chain?; Opal): Didn't realize their were multiple locations in the state. Certainly my favorite pork bbq around, the smoke and the sauce work together with it being CHOPPED (great texture) to make the BEST sandwich in the area. In a truckstop.

Dixie Bones (Indiv. Location; Woodbridge): Not so bad. Not so good. Ribs were dry, pork was dry, maybe just a bad trip?

My 2cents.[/b]

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:51 pm

Not a BBQ joint but if you want some good baby backs and great beans visit the King Street Blues. In the Crystal City or Alexandra.
A new CG owner in training

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:32 am

I would also recommend Urban BBQ in Rockville and Allman's in Fredericksburg.

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:54 am
502mids well done
well done

Hey Bombbuster, if you have any business at Andrews AFB, head up Suitand Road to Orleans BBQ, looks like an old ice cream stand, it's on the right. Good grub, takeout only, closed Monday and Tuesday, open to 8 otherwise.
Ya gonna eat that?

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:39 pm
Natty Boh medium-rare
medium-rare

Could someone give me an address for Dixie Bones in Woodbridge, VA. I'd like to do a Map Quest and maybe stop off next time I'm down thataway.

Thanks.

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:48 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

www.dixiebones.com

Howz that! :wink:
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:26 pm
Natty Boh medium-rare
medium-rare

Frankly, it scares the bejeebies outta me. I mean, a Q joint with a web page?? :lol:

When Wilber's and the Skylight Inn come up with a web site, I guess all will have been lost to the digital world.

BUT,

Thanks!

Previous

Return to Best BBQ Joint