Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven Grilling whole Trout

Grilling whole Trout

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:53 am
sroach well done
well done

Steven,

A friend of mine caught some beautiful trout this weekend and offered me a couple, I have been wanting to do grilled whole trout for a while now. I do have one question. I am going to follow your Grilled Prosciutto-Wrapped Trout recipe @ http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_detai ... pisodeID=5

My question is how to you plate or serve it when you're done cooking? Do you cut off the head and then open it in to two filets?

Thank you in advanced.

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:29 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

What I do is bring the whole trout, head and all, to the table to show it to the admiring crowd. Then I transfer it to a cutting board and move it off the the side. Using a very sharp knife, I make a cut along the backbone (which is now on the side), through the prosciutto (make sure to use thinly sliced) and into the trout, running the flat part of the blade along the top of the backbone. With two spoons, I lift the top fillet with its prosciutto. Then with tongs, starting at the tail, I lift the backbone and pull it away with the head. I pull out any bones in the bottom fillet, then portion and serve that. It's probably too late now, but there's a photo sequence on how to fillet a trout in my next book, Man Made Meals, which is due out in May.

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:32 am
sroach well done
well done

Thanks Steven, I managed to hack my way through it. I'll check out the pictures in the Man Made Meals book.

Return to Ask Steven