Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven Water Pan Question

Water Pan Question

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:26 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Steven - After a WSM session the water pan is invariably full of a soup of water, grease and drippings. How do you dispose of this disgusting stuff? I'm sure there are about 30 answers. I've heard that you can use cat litter or sand - which would make it easier to clean up, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the water? I like to run a clean rig, and this one has baffled me from day one.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:14 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I guess I shouldn't say that I dump it down the sewer drain in front of the neighbor's house. If my wife were reading this, I guess I shouldn't say that I use it for watering her plants. So what I'll tell you is that, using a funnel, I place it in empty milk cartons and throw it away. You with me? BTW, I LOVE when you say you like to run a clean rig!

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:50 am
Donald1800 rare
rare

How about adding enough laundry soap to just get a little foam when whisked, then dump it down the drain. Added to all of the other water usage dumped into the drain, it can't be any worse than your wife washing a mechanics coveralls.

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:10 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Got it. Thanks - Don't want to clog up the drains with all of that grease. I like the milk carton idea - And I have not done either of those things that you have not done... :wink: ...Except I do tend to dump it in a pile of leaves in the gutter before I throw them out.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 pm
Donald1800 rare
rare

"...Don't want to clog up the drains with all of that grease..."

That is why you use the laundry soap - it emulsifies the grease so that it can not clog the drain.

Return to Ask Steven