Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven Cure content in your Triplle Thick Pork Chop Recipe

Cure content in your Triplle Thick Pork Chop Recipe

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
smokerlar raw
raw

Steven, I made a copy of your Triple Thick Pork Chop recipe and noticed you are using 4 teaspoons of curing salt to 1/2 gallon of water.
I have always read when using cure #1 your ratio of cure to meat is: 1 tsp. to 5 lbs. of meat. And when you are brining with cure #1, your ratio of cure to water is: 1 TB. to 1 gallon of water.
Is this a misprint and if not can you explain why you are using so much curing salt in 1/2 gallon of water?

YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If I'm not mistaken (don't have the book here at work)
It calls for 4 tsp. in 2 quarts of boiling water to be
mixed with the remaining brine ingredients.

That in turn is combined with 2 quarts of ice water
before placing with the chops in the bag.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

smokerlar raw
raw

Hey Yardburner,
My recipe calls for 1 quart of hot water to be whisked in with the salt, sugar and curing salt until its all dissolved and then whisk in 1 quart of cold water until brine is room temperature.
Check your recipe book when you get a chance and let me know if you were right. I'm waiting for an answer from Steve on this, I already have the chops bought and am anxious to get started.

YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You are correct. Both the book and blog versions agree on quantities.

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/08/26/gui ... ing-salts/

I did find this article to further muddy the waters.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

smokerlar raw
raw

Well, for those of you who are following, I haven't heard back from Steve yet but I went ahead and followed his recipe for the brine. I smoked 4 of the pork chops on Monday. After smoking them for around 4 hours they were done with an internal temp. of 145*. I did something different this time, I hung the chops on bacon hangers, thinking the smoke would penetrate them better, kind of like a ham or turkey. I didn't use his rub, just slightly peppered them before smoking.
The results are, when I opened the door to pull them from the smoker, they didn't look done, the fat looked raw yet and the coloring on the bones didn't look right. So, I rechecked the internal temp. with my thermopen and that was OK. Only thing I could think of was to turn the grill on high and sear all the edges and then lay them down for a minute or two on each side. After doing that, they looked good enough to eat. I must say, they were delicious. Tasted like a hamy chop.
Only thing I can think of next time to make them look better would be to lay them flat in the smoker and maybe alittle closer to the heat. Anybody got any other suggestions for me?

YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm sorry, but seem to have missed my invitation to dinner!

One of our favorite ways to do bone in pork loin
is to smoke just shy of done and finish on the grill.

We take a 1/4 cup of cherry jelly and a 1/4 cup of habanero or chipotle jelly.
Melt them together in a pan and glaze the chops just as they are finishing.

Good Stuff!

Glad they didn't turn out too salty.

If you want to finish on the grill, I don't know if
I'd get any closer to the fire or cook at a higher
temp to try and get more color. Let the grill provide that.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Return to Ask Steven