Board index Barbecue Board Ask Steven Shek O Wings

Shek O Wings

Do you have burning questions that need to be answered? A live-fire dilemma that needs to be solved? There are no secrets between grill masters. So I give you “Ask Steven,” a new forum, where you can ask me anything about food and flame. Post your questions here, and I’ll respond as quickly as I can, though at times, because I’m traveling around Planet Barbecue (and you can ask me about these adventures too), it might take me a couple of days to reply.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:46 pm
BaasPro medium-well
medium-well

Hello, I was hoping to try the Shek O Wings tomorrow and I was concerned about the honey and soy sauce burning if grilling over direct heat. When you drain the wings after marinating, do you actually rinse them off? Or do you just shake off as much marinade as possible? Thanks!
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:19 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, Rob,

Sorry for delay. You're right: normally sweet sauces and marinades burn when direct grilled. However, because the chicken wings are stretched out lengthwise, you shorten the grilling time and the likelihood of burning. (You also maximize the surface area exposed to the fire, resulting in more caramelization and flavor.) You start on medium-high heat, but back down to medium if the skin starts to brown too quickly. I always keep a grill shield on hand (folded sheet of aluminum foil), so if something starts to burn, I can insert it between the food and the fire.

Please send pictures--your photos are always so mouthwatering!

SR

Return to Ask Steven