Board index Barbecue Board Project Smoke Leg of Lamb: Raichlen/Mallman Hybrid

Leg of Lamb: Raichlen/Mallman Hybrid

Talk about Steven's latest television show, Project Smoke.
Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:39 pm

I smoke braised a leg of lamb yesterday for the first time. Was fantastic. The inspiration was a Francis Mallman recipe called 7 1/2 hour Malbec Lamb. The more I read the recipe though, I realized that he completely covers the lamb in Malbec, so it's kind of like boiling the lamb. I wanted some smoke flavor.

So instead I just smoked it in a foil pan in about an inch or two of Malbec, and basted the lamb about every hour with the Malbec mixture. Had my butcher cut the bones out of the cut, which was perfect because I was able to season the inside of the leg (which was essentially butterflied) with Mallman's recommended seasonings of lemon zest (he uses lemon confit, I don't think it's worth the extra hassle), minced garlic, chopped fresh rosemary, chopped fresh parsley, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Then I tied the leg up, and used Steven's method of inserting garlic slivers and rosemary in a checkerboard pattern.

Smoke braised it for six hours. I think that was a bit more done that I would have liked, although my probe inside the lamb leg never got above 170. Still, my family loved it, and my wife said it was one of her favorite things I've ever smoked. Next time I do it I think I'm going to completely remove the parsley and rosemary from the seasoning on the exterior of the lamb (but leave it on the seasoning applied to the interior), and just stick with lemon zest, garlic, and salt and pepper on the exterior (and really go heavy with the salt and pepper).

Served it with Steven's smoked Camembert recipe (I used brie), and the meal was delicious start to finish.

For some reason I can't add the photo--I'll keep trying.

Return to Project Smoke