Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First bigger cook

First bigger cook

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Even though I've been grilling and smoking for a long time I've never really cooked for a group of any size other than flipping burgers at a friend's party, but tomorrow this changes. My daughter asked me to cook for her baby shower so I have 20 lbs. of pork butt and 15 lbs. of very thin sirloin tip steaks sitting in the fridge; we're planning on pulled pork and steak sandwiches. Truthfully I don't think it'll be too difficult as there are 4 butts and I think I can fit them on the top rack of the 18" WSM, and I'll just grill the steaks and slice them to fit the rolls before putting them in an au jus bath.

I'll grill the steaks tomorrow morning (the shower's at 11am) but right now I'm not sure if I want to start the butts around 4:30 this afternoon or maybe wait until 9pm or so and let them smoke overnight. If they finish early they'll get the foil-towel-cooler treatment for awhile before I pull the meat and put it into a Nesco roaster for serving.

Post Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:25 am
BBQ Deputy

It's 6:20am now and I pulled the butts off the fire at 6. The 2 buggest ones went on last night at 6, the next one at 8, and the last one at 10 with me going to bed at 10:15. The drop-in thermometer was reading shy of 250 and I had 1 vent fully closed and the other 2 barely cracked, but when I checked it this morning it was up around 280 so hopefully it wasn't that way for too long. I managed to fit all 4 butts on the upper grate by replacing the handled Weber grate with my flat iron grate and they all temped out at 210-220, so now they're wrapped in foil and resting in the cooler. Time for a little breakfast before I start on the steaks...

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 pm
BBQ Deputy

20 pounds of butts:

15 pounds of thinly sliced sirloin tip steak, before and after:

Fortunately everything turned out; the steaks wound up being the more popular choice as I put them in a Nesco roaster and added some au jus so they made really good sandwiches on French bread. The crowd was smaller than expected so I only pulled 2 of the butts, and took the other 2 to the restaurant where my daughter works for the staff meal.

Return to General Discussion