Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Boiling ribs ?

Boiling ribs ?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:17 pm
Brian

I am making thick pork spare ribs for a tailgate on July 31.

In the past, I have just marinated them over night and then thrown them directly on the grill... my question is, many people have thrown around the process of boiling them prior to marinating to expedite the cooking process... How long do I boil them for ? Is it actually advisable to do it that way ?

For those interested, I am using "Ah-So" Rib sauce (which is the actual red sauce they use in Chinese restaurants) - I've used it before and the ribs come out tremendously !!!

Thanks

Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:31 pm

The first rule of rib-cooking is never, ever boil ribs. Unless your objective is rib soup. The only people who boil ribs are those who don't know how to do them right!

Boiling leaves most of the flavor in the water, which is then discarded.

Cook them on indirest medium heat (325 - 350) for about two hours or on low heat (225) for about 5 hours. The two methods yield slightly different tasting ribs, but both are good.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:51 pm
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

AMEN on never boiling ribs!!!! :evil:
I always rub them, sit them overnight in the fridge, then, next day, SLOW AND LOW.
Boiling or cooking them to fast is going to melt out all your fat too quick and the ribs will be tough and dry. I cook mine four to five hours at 230-245 degrees max. Replenish charcoal or wood to keep optimum temp about every hour. When I check the wood, I usually throw a splash of mop sauce on as well. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Craig

Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:49 pm

While I agree with not boiling ribs as it removes flavor, I do have to defend it as well. My father makes great ribs. While not competition great, they are the best I've had from a backyard BBQer. And he boils his ribs first.
8)
It aint broke, it only lacks duct tape.

Return to General Discussion