Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion A Sneak Preview

A Sneak Preview

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:16 am
Ian Mack well done
well done

The prototype has arrived.... quite happy with the results, just a few minor mods to make before she's ready to be let loose on the general public :)

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:05 pm
johnnyreb medium-rare
medium-rare

Looks like a Chargriller driving on the wrong side of the road . ......... its bassackwards :wink:

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:05 pm
jamesstew well done
well done

I know there are plenty of Chargriller fans on the site and I was wondering if this addresses some of the complaints with that unit. Mostly the guage of steel used for the fire-box and the airleaks in the main chamber.

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:52 pm
phyx well done
well done

Looks like a Chargriller, with a different hinge on SFB, wood handles everywhere, longer smoke stack, and non-cast iron grates...

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:17 am
Ian Mack well done
well done

It's made from 2mm plate, has porcelain coated (8mm dia rod) grills in the main chamber and firebox. The chimney will be extended to bring it closer to the cooking surface as standard, it has a high quality temp gauge, this will be lower down than shown.
I haven't given it a test run yet, so can't comment on the smoke leakage, but I am keen to give her a burn pretty soon.

I'm not sure at this stage whether we will bring this model to the US, as we initially designed it for the European market, but we'll see how it goes.

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:16 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

I think 2 mm plate is the same as the American equivilent of 12 gauge metal. For example the CG is 14 gauge (one of the heaviest in the grill comparison chart here http://www.chargriller.com/comparison.html ), The CG would therefore be for comparison 1.6 mm. Or four hundreths of an inch thinner.

Hope this helps envision the thickness of the European model. That would be fairly heavy as the CG is 3 gauges thicker metal than the Webber 22.5 Silver. Had to put this in for all those that like to point out "how thin" the CG is.
As inexpensive backyarders go this somewhat of a CG clone looks to be pretty heavy. Ian I know this just for Europe but could you translate how much this unit would sell for in the USA converted into dollars. If I was in Europe and bought this unit there...how many US dollars would I have to spend?
Clay
CharGriller Super Pro W/SFB

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:55 am
Ian Mack well done
well done

Hi Clay,
Thanks for all the info, it really helps me put it into perspective, as I don't have a Chargriller here (they're not available in the UK).

The unit would work out at about $400.00 retail.

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:21 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

But OUR special price, (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
would be $600.00 right?!?
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Return to General Discussion