Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Upgrading propane burner

Upgrading propane burner

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon May 21, 2007 10:11 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

Hat's off "A". I'll have to review this thread and see if that would be a viable solution for me when I can find the time. Certainly sounds do-able. Thank you sir! :)
Clay
CharGriller Super Pro W/SFB

Post Tue May 22, 2007 9:22 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

"A" thanks so much for all the foot work! I get to Portland every so often to do other shopping at stores unavailable in The Dalles. Are these Hearth & Grill stores all over? Do you know if there are any in the Troutdale - Gresham side of Portland? How about around Clackamas Town Center?

I can't tell by the image on Amazon (it's more of a drawing) if the regulator has the same mounting screws? I'd like to take mine off the sideburner with me on my next trip in and compare. Also I'd like to hear how will you know if your burner is any hotter than it was before you drilled the holes out? Have you thought of any way of measuring the results? Thanks for your patience.
Clay

Post Tue May 22, 2007 11:05 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

Thank you much. Both the one on Division and the one on 82nd are prime candidates I‘m good for wood but your right that sounds like the best deal on smoking wood I‘ve heard compared to what‘s been floating around here on the board off and on. Sounds like you have thought it out on checking the heat output. I don’t have any better suggestion than what you came up with. Hope it works out. Well if it doesn’t you ’ll have an excuse to by that stand alone power burner? How could she say no? :)
Clay

Post Tue May 29, 2007 7:54 pm
C. Piper well done
well done

MrAngles wrote:
After drilling the rest of the large holes to 5/32 I used the burner to deep fry and noticed a marked improvement in speed getting the oil back to temp, but still not as good as I'd like. I'm seriously considering drilling the small holes out at that size too, since I don't ever use the low setting on my burner anyway. Oh, it also lit my charcoal faster too, always a plus.

"A" sounds like your on to something. I'll be waiting to see how it goes when you do the smaller holes. Those pic's definitely look much stronger than the stock flame. It would seem to resist snuffing out by the wind better also. I used my more to light my chimney off than anything else. I thought it was a little on the whimpy side for that however. Maybe this will be the way to go. Thanks for the initative. :wink:
Clay

Previous

Return to General Discussion