Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What is a good barbeque?

What is a good barbeque?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:30 pm
Terry

I have a chance to buy a barbeque with 44,000 btu's in it. Is this a good barbeque. It is of average size. Meaning it is a Medium bbq. It does not have a rotisery on it and that is fine for me. I would be cooking beef steaks, chicken peices and beer can chicken and Pork steaks and ribs. I was told that I should have a bbq that is 50,000 btu's. This bbq would be costing me $200.00 Canadian and it is brand new. What do you think?

Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:52 pm

Hate to be picky, but barbeque is a food or a method of cooking. What you're looking at is a grill.

Anyhow...number of BTU's is not a good measure of a grill's cooking ability or even of it's capability for searing. The important things include number of burners (so you can do indirect cooking), ability to heat hot enough to sear food (600 degrees F) in a reasonable time, ability to maintain a relative low temperature (300 degrees F) over a long period without frequent adjustment, and the evenness of the temperature across the grill surface both at high and low temperatures. "Cook's Illustrated" and "Consumer Reports both tested gas grills recently and rached basically he same conclusions.

Tell us a specific brand and model, and you'll probably get more opinions than you want from present and former users.

Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:30 pm
jeff

If you plan on using your outdoor grill during the coldest months of the year AND you live a good bit north of the CANADA/USA border you might be better off going with a grill that can kick out 50 thousand BTU's over the 40 thousand BTU model. Those bitterly cold high winds in January can steal a fair amount of heat from a BBQ that isn't close to a wind break.
When shopping, resist the urge to purchase the BBQ that offers the largest cooking area for a given amount of BTU's.

Return to General Discussion