Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Second 1/2 of the Duo...

Second 1/2 of the Duo...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:27 pm
sturminator medium
medium

Framed in the gas side while the ribs were smoking (see the Whats Grilling 8-23/8-24 thread).

It took a bit of tweaking to get it so the drip pan would fit underneath, but after cutting about 4 inches off the end of the pan and re-riveting the mounting bracket, it worked.

I drilled out the gas orifices for natural gas and am going to be under the house plumbing in the gas, H2O and electricity tomorrow.
Sturminator
Chargriller Duo - Mounted and Modded
God loves a barbecue - Leviticus 1-6

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:24 am
pfernald raw
raw

Do you know how to convert from LP to Natural Gas for Char Griller Duo? Just purchased one to replace rusted out BroilMaster from Gas Company and it ended up costing less to buy new and got charcoal and gas grill in one! Love it. Now would like to hook up to natural gas connection.

My understanding is that one needs to bore out the connection to a wider thread for interface hose. I rather relay on someone else who has done this and perhaps might already have a solution.

Thanks.

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:58 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board pfernald! :D

sturminator, you're makin' some pretty good progress on your outdoor kitchen. 8) Now, if I could only get around to our indoor one. :wink:

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:11 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

pfernald wrote:
Do you know how to convert from LP to Natural Gas for Char Griller Duo? Just purchased one to replace rusted out BroilMaster from Gas Company and it ended up costing less to buy new and got charcoal and gas grill in one! Love it. Now would like to hook up to natural gas connection.

My understanding is that one needs to bore out the connection to a wider thread for interface hose. I rather relay on someone else who has done this and perhaps might already have a solution.

Thanks.

Welcome to the board, pfernald! :D

As for converting the Duo from LP to natural gas, I'd recommend emailing CharGriller directly. These conversions should only be done by a professional. I've had first-hand experience putting out a burning deck earlier this year because my friend thought he could do the job himself.

You'll want to leave this one to the pros. It's not just a matter of swapping the hose - you need a different burner assembly, regulator, and other hardware as well.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:31 pm
sturminator medium
medium

Canada BBQ Guy is right - I have an extensive background in the construction trades and did a stint as a plumbers apprentice awhile back so I have threaded plenty of black pipe and pressure tested many gas lines. If you doubt at all that you are able to take this on, GET A PRO! Natural gas has destroyed many homes in the past - don't be one of the future!

That said, there is no need to get a new regulator or other hardware - I just drilled my orifices on the valve tree for the grill to the table on this site:

http://www.grillparts.com/howto/btu_guide.htm

I alson used this one:

http://www.komar.org/bbq/mm/convert/

and this one:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article18gasgrill.html

and it works wonderfully.

The size of orifice will vary depending on the inches of water column your gas pressure is. There is no quick and dirty way to measure this except just having it measured by your gas company or making a meter yourself and doing it yourself. Make sure and provide gas shut offs where the gas is stubbed off of your main house line and at the source where you fit the hose to Q connection. That way if your line gets compromised outside, you have a way to shut off the gas inside the house (crawlspace, basement, whatever). I also bought the complete drill set for the numbered drills at Harbor Freight for $20.00.

I will post pix later of my results using the above resources as far as flame size, valving and the like.
Sturminator

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:48 am
pfernald raw
raw

Wish I could find someone to do this for me. Char Griller has no plans as of yet. Noticed on LP tank that California has determined that LP gas is a carcinogen! I'd rather use Natual gas.

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:35 pm
sturminator medium
medium

Y'know...I'm pretty sure California could find anything a carcinogen if ingested in enough quantity. I'm pretty sure natural gas and charcoal, charcoal grilled foods and well cooked anything are on their list as well.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')

It really shouldn't be that hard to find a qualified plumber to perform the work. If you have gas appliances already, the plumber may just have to replace a coupling with a tee and stub out from there, depending where you want the gas outlet for the BBQ to be. Alot of guys give free estimates on smaller jobs so you can get the best deal. Just realize that cheap isn't always the safest - make sure the plumber has credentials, endorsements and references.
Sturminator

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:58 am
From A Buick 8 medium-rare
medium-rare

pfernald wrote:
Wish I could find someone to do this for me. Char Griller has no plans as of yet. Noticed on LP tank that California has determined that LP gas is a carcinogen! I'd rather use Natual gas.

I would not lose too much sleep over it.

Formaldehyde has been classified as a human carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and as a probable human carcinogen by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Formaldehyde can also be released by burning wood, kerosene, natural gas, or cigarettes; through automobile emissions; or from natural processes.

Benzene - a known carcinogen; causes cancer; long-term exposure to high-levels in the air can cause leukemia and cancer of the blood-forming organs; can damage the immune system.3

Burning LP gas releases Benzene.

My point is either way you go, there is a small risk. So cook, eat and do not let it worry you too much.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:48 am
pfernald raw
raw

Thanks for the feedback!

Post Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:28 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

How long ago did you PM him? Sometimes it can take a day (or ten) for some folks to get back to you.

Oh - and welcome aboard and also to the CharGriller family, Marcos! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:46 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

I'd try and help, marcos, but you would end up blowing yourself and your belongings up in the process! :lol: Sturminator seems to know what he is doing with these sort of things! :lol:

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Return to General Discussion