Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoker Help!

Smoker Help!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:09 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

I am going to be purchasing a smoker in the next few weeks and after reading all the discussion I am still confused! (Happens often, ask the wife!) Due to space constraints I will be purchasing a vertical smoker. Question is Char Broil or Brinkman? Charcoal or electric? Your help is needed!
Stipes

Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:04 am

If you want to go vertical -- get the Weber Smokey Mountain. Go to this site and spend some time (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/). This will convince you that the WSM is the way to go. I read that site for about two years and just got the WSM for Father's Day. I am VERY happy with the purchase. It is more than the other smokers, but the quality and temperture control make it worth every cent.

This is a charcoal smokey so it does require a little more hands on than an electric. If you want a "set it and forget it" smoker, electric may be for you.

WeberBoy

Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:13 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Thanks WeberBoy. I think though that as I am new to smoking, I will probably be looking at an electric. Anyone else have ideas/suggestions?

Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:51 pm
MrMilk rare
rare

Like was said, charcoal requires more effort. I tried the electric when I got into smoking about 4 years ago. I got so frustrated thet I converted it to charcoal. There is no comparision to the better taste you will get with charcoal. Go ahead and take the step with a charcoal smoker and start developing your favorite method. I tried many different types of wood, rubs, sauce, now finally have a recipe that all seem to enjoy.

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:26 pm
WeberBoy rare
rare

stripegrill,

I was new to smoking when I got my WSM and never regretted it. Check out the web site I mentioned and post your questions there. They are a friendly bunch and if you purchase the WSM they will help you every step of the way.

Like MrMilk said -- Nothing like the flavor of charcoal. Gas and electric just don't cut it.

WeberBoy

Return to General Discussion