Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How much charcoal?

How much charcoal?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:49 am
greggomelo75@aol.com

I always end up with a fire that is too hot or not hot enough, is there a certain method for determining the amount of charcoal to use?

Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:21 pm

If you are using a "kettle" style cooker, such as a Weber, you can control the heat by allowing the fire to settle for about five minutes after the coals are ready. Spread the coals out evenly, place the lid on the cooker and go do something else. Come back in five minutes. If the fire is still too hot, close the bottom vents about halfway and check again in another five minutes. If it's really windy you may need to close the bottom vents nearly all the way. You could always mist the fire with a spray bottle as a last resort.

If the fire is too cool, they are either not lit properly or they have begun to burn out. In extended cooking, I find that a small kettle cooker, like a Smokey Joe, is handy for lighting more charcoal in a charcoal chimney. That way you can add lit charcoal to the big cooker and heat it right up.

If you are using a grill without a lid, you will amost have to get a spray bottle. Best of luck.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:24 pm

In answering your question, I neglected to actually answer it: enough charcoal to cover the bottom of the cooker in a single layer, tightly spaced. If you wish, you can use a little less to provide for a "cold" side to the grill, in order to place finished items in that area.

Return to General Discussion