Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beer Can Chicken problem

Beer Can Chicken problem

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:25 pm
R2D2 raw
raw

I tried cooking the beer can chicken on my 181/2 Weber Kettle. But, the lid didn't fit over the chicken. I ended up wrapping the whole kettle in foil. How can I cook the chicken with the lid on? Do I have to put the chicken on the coal grate?

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:04 am
chagan well done
well done

Hey R2D2, sorry to see that you are having problem with this. I would venture to say that your grill is probably too small to stand the chicken upright in. While cooking on the coal grate might give you the clearence that you need, you probably will be too close to the heat source for indirect grilling. This might cause unsightly burn marks (at least) and prevent uniform cooking of the bird. I have a 22.5 inch Weber that works great. If of course you choose to stay with the 18.5, my wife has cooked a quite acceptable bcc in the kitchen oven. Good luck,

Chris

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:45 am
flints rare
rare

R2D2, Sorry to hear about the problem. Unfortunately, there isn't too much you can do. Try buying smaller fryers or even game hens. Coal grate will definitely cook it too fast, unless you can rig something up so you can sit a grate a couple inches below the level where the cooking grate sits.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:44 pm
Grumpster raw
raw

Well, this may be a bit pricey (compared to just buying a 22.5) but, I have a rotisserie ring that fits between the lid and kettle of my 22.5 Weber grill which raises the top aprox. 5 inches. I don't know about cost and if they make one for the 18 but that may be a solution.

--------------------
Grumpster

Ranger One

Hey gang, :!: never forget to ask the eternal question. What would McGyver do? :?: No I don't have that type of grill but I think you will get the idea. Get a peice of sheetmetal the same gauge as the grill. Make it as long as the circumference of the rim of the grill plus some to overlap with. Cut it wide enough to give you the height. Overlap the peice and use fasten the ends. I don't know, poprivets, welding, or what ever. Maybe someone will have an idea on this. Any way go to a barbecue supplies store and pick up some high temperature paint and paint it, perferably in a color to match the grill. You now have a stretch R2D2. :!:

Return to General Discussion