Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Short Ribs

Short Ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:40 am
Theo1011 raw
raw

Came across boneless short ribs at my local supermarket the other day. The sticker said, "Great for grilling." I'm used to braising short ribs for hours to melt the fats and collagens and produce the most succulent meat. Is there a trick to cooking them on the grill?

Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:30 pm

I hate to tell you this, but I'm a pretty experienced cook, and the only way I've been bale to produce tender short ribs on the grill was to sear them, then braise in a pan over indirect heat to make them tender. I've tried recipes for grilling them, but they always come out pretty tough.

Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:36 am
Chuck

Short ribs CAN be direct grilled and not too chewey, but the best way to do that is with a marinade. The korean dish kal-bi is a good example, and it uses the short ribs cut thinly, with three bones. Make a soy-sauce marinade (add brown sugar, green onions, ginger, and other stuff) and let the ribs sit in it at least over-night, but two days is better. Then grill on high heat for 3-5 minutes a side.

Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:10 pm

Theo1011 wrote:
Came across boneless short ribs at my local supermarket the other day. The sticker said, "Great for grilling." I'm used to braising short ribs for hours to melt the fats and collagens and produce the most succulent meat. Is there a trick to cooking them on the grill?

We did short ribs on the grill the other night and they turned out okay.

-Adrian

Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:16 pm
Hatzie raw
raw

I have actually smoked short ribs for about 4 hours with baby back ribs and they come out great. :D

Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:06 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I was looking back through the old posts and I came across this one. If anyone is still wondering about cooking short ribs, here is a great and a guaranteed way for cooking them. Place your favorite rub on the ribs and place them in a plastic bag over night. The next day, fire up your smoker; Put the short ribs in a glass or metal baking pan and place it in the smoker. Smoke for 3-4 hours at 250 degrees turning often to crisp up all sides (the grease collects in the pan and crisp up the ribs). The beef short ribs are done when they’re falling apart.

Return to General Discussion