Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Please Excuse Our Dust!

Please Excuse Our Dust!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 pm
team Site Admin
Site Admin

@Married_Man We will definitely look into trying to get the stickies to collapse (or take up less space). Can't promise, but we will definitely do our best!

@BBcue-Z Regarding the truncated posts, I tried to edit one of your posts, and it looked like the content had disappeared entirely. It might have something to do with the strange character set that was used? Were these posts originally written in Word or anything like that? What else was supposed to be in the post that you provided as an example?

In terms of search, thanks for looking into it, ScreamingChicken! I get a lot of results searching "bbcue," but searching "hamburger summer" had issues. We will definitely look into trying to get that working, and if not, see what options there might be to work around it.

Thanks for the patience, everyone!

The Management

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:55 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Thank you team for the quick reply,
Those strange characters appeared after the upgrade. I do all my post in MS Word first and then I paste them on the board and never had an issue or used unrecognized characters. It’s puzzling though how the entire content of certain posts are missing?
If you look at the “Kofta Kabobs” post below, it should give an idea on how I do all my posts. I have not changed a thing since I’ve been a member.
Thanks,
Hadi

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:06 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I realize I am only one of countless, but can I express a request or idea at least for the team's consideration? First, I very much like the dark blue background. I know from experience if you impose a Golden Rod font in Verdana text, that the appearance is not only beautiful. but the text is eminently and pronouncedly readable. The dark blue also makes a superb backdrop for pictures. I'm sure there are many here like me with poor vision that would really appreciate something as readable as possible anyways. Thanks! :D
Last edited by beercuer on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got beer???

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:29 pm
harry_canyon well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Actually, I personally find the blue to be more pleasing to the eye than the previous mustard and red and black. In retrospect, the word "gaudy" comes to mind. Just one reporter's opinion. Anyway, at least thanks for growing the pictures back... that was my greatest consternation. :D

I'm totally with beercuer on this. Please don't go back to eye-straining, yellow, red and black!

Take care,

Derek
Always keep an open mind. But not so open that your brain falls out.

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:30 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

Now this is one change I really like, hope you keep it.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

One thing I like about the new version of the PHP software is that when use a smilie it goes where your cursor was inserted and not to the bottom of the message like it used to. That used to drive me crazy, but now you put your cursor where you want the smilie and that's where it goes. I know I know, but sometimes it's little things that make all the difference.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:40 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Actually there is one thing I'd like to ask, could you or can you put a break of some kind to seperate the stickys from the regular posts something like you have between the announcements and topics would be nice. the topics between charcoal sales and member recipes could be seperate from the rest of the topics, hopefully I'm making sense.

Okay I've edited this to say, can you put a header bar for STICKYS to seperate them from TOPICS so you would have one header like you do for ANNOUNCEMENTS one for STICKYS and one for TOPICS.
Last edited by Old Smoker on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:08 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Old Smoker wrote:
Actually there is one thing I'd like to ask, could you or can you put a break of some kind to seperate the stickys from the regular posts something like you have between the announcements and topics would be nice. the topics between charcoal sales and member recipes could be seperate from the rest of the topics, hopefully I'm making sense.
I know exactly what you mean. It would be nice to have one link to all of those topics that takes you to a different page that has all of those sticky posts on it. As it is now, you end up having to scroll down past all of those to get to the new posts. If they can't be moved off this page, how about adding another header for that separates the new posts from the sticky posts. Or better yet, what about a button that takes you past the announcements and sticky posts straight down to the newest post.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:14 pm
Married_Man medium-well
medium-well

The search function does seem to be broken. A search for char-griller and akorn returns no results. And a search for kamado returns no results later than 2004.

Is it possible the only results returned for searches are prior to 2004 and after the board update?
CG Akorn - Kamado Kooker
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:17 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Married_Man wrote:
The search function does seem to be broken. A search for char-griller and akorn returns no results. And a search for kamado returns no results later than 2004.

Is it possible the only results returned for searches are prior to 2004 and after the board update?

Interesting.....I tried kamado and get two results from today. I tried char-griller and get no results. However, when I tried char griller, the results include char-griller.....That really doesn't make sense. As a data point, I'm using Safari 6.0 on a Mac.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:20 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I haven't confirmed this, but my experience has been that the search function is case-sensitive. If a search includes brand names or the names of posters but doesn't return any results, try adjusting the capitalization and entering names exactly as they appear in posts.

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:52 pm
jstewart well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I haven't confirmed this, but my experience has been that the search function is case-sensitive. If a search includes brand names or the names of posters but doesn't return any results, try adjusting the capitalization and entering names exactly as they appear in posts.

Brad,

Can you provide a couple of examples? I'm asking because you pointed out issues with "case sensitivity" before and I didn't see that problem. I would be happy to try some specific searches and see if I get the same results.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:50 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jim, I think it's the "-" in "char-griller" that's causing the problem. If you click on the search tab and go to "advanced search" there's a brief explanation of what certain punctuation marks can do, and "-" will cause the next word in the search to be treated as excluded.

It looks like if you search for "char-griller kamado" the software thinks you want posts that do contain "char" and "kamado", and don't contain "griller".

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:36 pm
502mids well done
well done

Holy Cow, I've been gone for a while. This looks great! I had actually lost interest because the old format was so hard to read.
Ya gonna eat that?

Previous

Return to General Discussion