Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cooking for Mom?

Cooking for Mom?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 10, 2013 3:45 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

So who's cooking for Mom this weekend? I'm stopping by my parents' house to drop off a card but since the rest of my family's working I probably won't stay long, unless i'm asked to grill. :wink:

But I'll be grilling something for Mrs. Chicken Sunday night; that in itself isn't unusual but I might pick something a little more special. If I can find a plain white cotton dish towel I might give Lomo al Trapo a try.

Post Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 pm
jstewart well done
well done

I'll grill some stuffed burgers tomorrow evening, but that will probably be about it, at least outside. My wife said she would either like steak or crab.....since our local fish market can get good king crab, that's what we'll be having along with some roasted broccoli/cauliflower......now, next weekend, that is another matter altogether :D :D

Happy Mother's Day to all of the Moms!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Fri May 10, 2013 8:41 pm
BBQ Deputy

That sounds really good, Jimmy!

I was thinking a little more about this thread and remembered that probably my all-time favorite meal when I was growing up was scalloped potatoes and ham, with leftover oven-roasted ham cut from the bone (it's just not the same with the cooked stuff from the supermarket deli). I'm going to have to ask her for the recipe so that I can transfer it to the grill, but I'll need something deeper than an iron skillet.

Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:49 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like I'll be at my parents' place, and we'll be grilling steak.

Next weekend is a different story as it's a long weekend up here in Canada. I think I'll pull out the Outlaw to do some ribs or pulled pork, and maybe spit-roast some beef.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Just finished putting together the stuffed burgers for this evening. I started with some ground sirloin and mixed in some fresh ground pepper, salt, and some Bone-Suckin Rub. I chopped up some red onion and sliced up some goat cheese with herbs. Here they are before final assembly...

I sprinkled some more Bone-Suckin Rub on them and they are sitting in the fridge just waiting..... :D :D
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun May 12, 2013 8:39 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Started Mothers day last night. Sauteed grouper topped with shrimp Putanesca. Ultimate brownies for dessert. This morning a tradition, sausage and spinach quiche. Lunch with my mom at Capt Andersons. Grilled chicken breast for dinner.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Sun May 12, 2013 10:54 am
sroach well done
well done

BubbaQue wrote:
Started Mothers day last night. Sauteed grouper topped with shrimp Putanesca. Ultimate brownies for dessert. This morning a tradition, sausage and spinach quiche. Lunch with my mom at Capt Andersons. Grilled chicken breast for dinner.

Bubba,

I got a lot of respect for a man that has his whole "food" day planned out.. This comes from the guy that is asking where's lunch at 10:00am..

Post Mon May 13, 2013 1:43 pm
BBQ Deputy

Eventually I'll have some photos to post but I managed to pull together a reasonably decent meal for 6. Our older daughter was going to stop by and drop off Mrs. Chicken's present so I convinced her that she and her fiance should stay for dinner, and the younger daughter's boyfriend came over as well. 8 tenderloin steaks, a rack of back ribs, grilled broccoli and mushrooms, and some pasta salad. I forgot to bake the potatoes but that turned out to be a good idea, as we had more than enough as it was! Apparently the guys like my grilling and that's a good thing, as they'll be going on vacation with us in a couple of months...

Post Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 am
toyman medium
medium

I had 4 mom's and 12 guests total. I sent my recently returned home from college daughter to the local butcher for a whole filet last Friday. I was pretty surprised when she told me I had no change and the filet was $17/#!!!! Oh well, it was one of the best we've had. I fired up the egg while I was frying arancini and when I finished up the needle was pegged. So I roasted the filet between 550* and 650* with the placesetter feet up. It got a nice crust and was perfectly rare on the big end. I seasoned the roast early Sunday morning heavy with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and Penzey's English Rib seasoning (my wifes favorite). So the main dish was the filet, with sides of arancini with fresh tomato sauce and hot tomato sauce, pasta salad and potato salad. My daughter made a delicious cherry pie for desert. Fun was had by all!
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Thu May 16, 2013 3:22 pm
BBQ Deputy

Saturday afternoon I brought home a whole tenderloin from the store and managed to trim and cut it into steaks without mangling it too badly, and I was left with a couple of trimmings for later.

After wrapping them in bacon and seasoning them with S&P I put them in the fridge, and then Sunday afternoon I put them over some lump charcoal. I also grilled up a broccoli-mushroom mix, which is one of our favorites.
Image Image

I was originally going to grill a rack of back ribs for lunch Saturday after I bought and rubbed them Saturday morning, but I never got to them. So then I was going to have them for Saturday supper but I was never really that hungry, so I put them away again with plans to have them for Sunday lunch. But I had a pretty good breakfast so in the end they wound up as part of the Mother's Day menu.
Image Image Image

Because I didn't have several hours to truly barbecue them I set them up for indirect cooking over briquettes and some hickory and cherry, and at 350+ they took less than 2 hours.
Image Image

My older daughter made an angel food cake for dessert.

Here's my plate. Even with the 6 of us we had plenty of leftovers that've lasted well into this week.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 9:19 am
QJuju well done
well done

Mighty fine looking ribs... and filet... nothin but the best for mom!

Return to General Discussion