Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Steven's Onion Trick

Steven's Onion Trick

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 11:59 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I went over to my folks' place a few days ago and was asked to grill some steak and boneless pork loin chops. Turns out that someone there had gone on one of their periodic "cleaning binges" and all of the grill tools were either packed away or thrown out.

That meant no tongs, no spatula, no sauce brush, and nothing but this to cook the meal with (taken from later in the cook):

Dad's grill was also dry as a bone with no seasoning, so armed with the above fork I decided to try a trick Steven uses to oil the grill. To paraphrase Steven, this is the only use for a grill fork. You stick the fork in a piece of onion, dip the onion in a bowl of oil and oil the grill with it.

On an unseasoned grill, this can create some pretty neat fireworks, and it works pretty well (and yes, that first pic was after a swipe or three):

Here are the finished pics of the cook, which turned out pretty well considering I had no tools to work with. Keep in mind that at no time did I poke the meat, as the fork was flat enough to use as a mini-spatula:

Next on my To-Do list - pick up another set of tools for the folks and hide them somewhere so they don't get thrown away. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 3:37 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job working with limited equipment! When I know I'm going to be grilling at my parents' house I always bring along at least a pair of tongs just to be on the safe side.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm
sroach well done
well done

CBG,

That's some nice work considering what you had to work with.. it's amazing how quick you get used to your own home set up.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Love it! BTW, lemons and garlic heads (cut in half widthwise) make nice grill oilers, too.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 8:08 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Never tried garlic heads, but I've tried lemons. That's one reason I do this, and the second is because I don't like grill tools I never use, like a grill fork.

But really, it's the flames I love when I do this. Very showy and it always raises eyebrows (or burns 'em off). :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion