Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pastrami Burger

Pastrami Burger

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 9:23 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Another burger from Wicked Good Burgers I made earlier this week. This one is two steps removed from the Reuben. Step 1 is it uses pastrami instead of corned beef. This sandwich actually has a name too: It is the Rachel. Step 2 added a burger to the mix. Here are some pix which tell the story better than I do:

The homemade Russian dressing used: Sour cream, relish, horseradish, salt, mayo, hot sauce (this surprised me), Worcestershire sauce, ketchup & sugar

The 1 1/2 pounds of chuck that I ground up for this burger came from a 1 1/2 pound chuck steak.

The strips of chuck went into the freezer 45 minutes before I needed to grind it. Here they are out of the fridge and the mixer is set up with the grinder attachment and things are good to go. Once the meat was ground, I used my kitchen scale to weigh out 4 6 oz. portions of meat. They were formed into oval patties the shape of the rye bread being used.

This was a late supper, so it allowed me to do a test run of the lighting I installed in my grill gazebo last week. The fixtures I picked gave great light which didn't spread much outside the grill gazebo.

The Egg has been preheated to 500 degrees with the cast iron grate and the half moon griddle grate installed. The first item was 8 slices of rye bread that were spread with softened butter on both sides. At this temperature it took less than 30 seconds to toast 1 side.

Next item to be grilled were some somewhat thick slices of pastrami

The next item was the sauerkraut, something I've never grilled before.

xx
The sauerkraut and the half moon griddle grate are off, the four beef patties are on. The will cook for 2 minutes a side

After everything was grilled it was back inside to assemble and finish off the sandwich.

The first step was to brush the Russian Dressing onto one side of each rye bread slice.

The patties were up next.

The patties were topped with a slice of grilled pastrami.

Next came the grilled sauerkraut.

The Swiss cheese was added last. The top slice of rye bread went on and the sandwich was ready for a trip to a 350 degree oven

The sandwich was in the oven for a minute or so. Long enough to melt the Swiss cheese and reheat the rest of the sandwich.

Finally time to eat!

This burger/sandwich (call it what you will) was amazing and has some really strong and great flavors going on. It certainly exceeded my expectations.

Another great burger. I will be shooting for 3 in a row when I grill up another type of burger from this book on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to making the companion pretzel bun recipe.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The burgers look good but I have to admit I'd prefer mine without the kraut, because of texture more than anything else. Did the grilling change its flavor much? Otherwise, all the ingredients are favorites so I'm sure I'd like one of them!

I like the look of those lights you installed. Are they halogen bulbs?

Post Fri May 17, 2013 8:58 am
sroach well done
well done

+1 hold the kraut for me too..

Lights look awesome, would also be good for the early morning starts.. like when you need to start a brisket at 3:00am.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:21 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks guys.
ScreamingChicken wrote:
The burgers look good but I have to admit I'd prefer mine without the kraut, because of texture more than anything else. Did the grilling change its flavor much? Otherwise, all the ingredients are favorites so I'm sure I'd like one of them!

I like the look of those lights you installed. Are they halogen bulbs?
Brad I couldn't detect a change in flavor, but the beef and pastrami on this were so flavorful I really couldn't detect too much of the kraut flavor. FWIW I'm not a big fan of kraut either. The only time I have it is on a Ruben or variation like this.

As for the lights, they're from a company down in Titusville, Florida Call the Barn Light Company that makes them all in America using the dies and presses from the classic factories that made them in the 30s and 40s. The bulb is actually a 150 W clear bulb. Some of the fixtures are available for Some other bulb types as well.
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I really like Reubens, but this is definitely a cut above the average. Excellent job, Jim!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 12:21 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I'm not one to pass up pastrami, and I'm pretty sure I'd go back for seconds of those burgers. Love the grill marks on the burgers. 8)

Return to General Discussion