Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Thursday Night Beef

Thursday Night Beef

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 18, 2013 2:52 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I do a lot of straight grilling and smoking, but I haven't had a rotisserie for 5 years since I couldn't find one for the CG Outlaw at a decent price. I also picked up a small rotisserie for $5 at an auction, but it was too small to fit the big Outlaw either.

Because we get a lot of fire bans up here in Alberta, that also means that sometimes during the year we can't grill on charcoal, either, so I bought a MasterChef gas grill at the end of last season. Since I already has a rotisserie I figured I might try it out on the new grill.

I was a little concerned because the motor seemed a bit puny for a big roast, but for $5 there was no harm in trying.

This is just a basic 3 lb. sirloin roast. I rubbed it with Steven's Lone Star rub and studded it with garlic slivers.

Here's another angle. It was a really nice-looking roast before I got my paws on it.

Rotisserie cooking is almost "set and forget" cooking. I left the outside two burners on medium heat and left the inner two burners off. I also kept the rotisserie burner on for the first 30 mintes to develop a sear on the meat, but turned it off afterwards.

That's the thing about rotisserie burners - they're a nice feature on a grill but they should be used in addition to the regular burners. They're excellent for crisping up a chicken skin or searing the outside of a roast, but I've found they cook the outside too much while leaving the insides raw if you use them by themselves. That's why I only use a rotisserie burner at certain times in a cook rather than all the way through.

You could also use a weed torch for the same effect, though. :twisted:

I left the roast on the spit for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I turned the rotisserie burner back on for the last 15 minutes but that's all that was needed. It turned out very nicely done.

In fact, it was almost too nicely done. This is the internal temp after a 15-minute rest on the spit with the burner off. It should be roughly medium-well, which is a tad more well-done than I normally like but still fine.

As it happens, the roast turned out fine and the drippings made a nice gravy. For most of the roast I let it cool off and sliced it for sandwiches. The crust on this roast was unbelievable, though - lots of taste.

A lot of grillers overlook the rotisserie as a great way to cook big hunks of meat, but I will be using mine a lot from now on. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 9:21 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That turned out really nice! And with the final temperature over 150 it was good to see you still had some pink in the center.

The only time I think of using drippings for gravy is when I grill a turkey, and even then the drip pan's been prefilled with stock and vegetables to get a head start on things. Most other times it seems that there aren't enough drippings to bother with.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 2:06 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Darn - I knew I forgot something! I should have pre-filled the drip pan.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 3:02 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks tasty!!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun May 19, 2013 7:19 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Never had a rotisserie, but that makes it look like a good choice.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 7:42 pm
sroach well done
well done

That beef and a glass of beer and I'm a happy man!! Very nice.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

There ya go! You made real nice work of that sirloin roast, CBG! As soon as I relocate my spear supports, I look to break out my rotis again too. :D
Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 10:50 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The next one might be even more interesting. I've been watching Primal Grill and Steven cooks his roasts the opposite of the way I do, so I'll try it. He cooks them by rotisserie burner only, and sometimes turns on the outside burners to speed things along.

I'm going to try it that way next. Too bad it isn't a vertical spit, or I could cook donairs and shawarma.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 11:27 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
The next one might be even more interesting. I've been watching Primal Grill and Steven cooks his roasts the opposite of the way I do, so I'll try it. He cooks them by rotisserie burner only, and sometimes turns on the outside burners to speed things along.

I'm going to try it that way next. Too bad it isn't a vertical spit, or I could cook donairs and shawarma.

A vertical spit is ideal for carne al pastor as well (and gyros). :D
Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 3:29 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

A vertical spit is ideal for carne al pastor as well (and gyros). :D

I've seen the charcoal-fired rigs for these and they're quite nice. They're a bit down the wish list for grilling, though. :)

Incidentally, gyros = donairs. They're the same stuff with a different name, apparently.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 5:41 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
I've seen the charcoal-fired rigs for these and they're quite nice. They're a bit down the wish list for grilling, though. :)

Incidentally, gyros = donairs. They're the same stuff with a different name, apparently.

Oh silly me! Doh! Thanks for the info, Canada. :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion