Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Friday's (and Saturday's) Steak Dinner on the Grill

Friday's (and Saturday's) Steak Dinner on the Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This weekend is the Victoria Day long weekend up here in Canada. It's also the official start of the camping season, the gardening season (in Alberta), and often the drought and fire ban season too.

The boss let us out at 2:30 PM, so I did a ton of cleanup on the yard and settled down for a good cook. Rib eye steaks were on sale so I picked a couple of them up. I also felt like getting the grill baskets out to see how they would work on the new grill. So actually, that's where this post starts:

I've sometimes had great results with cooking mushrooms in a grill basket but they're usually bigger than this. I sprayed these with garlic and herb olive oil to start.

I gave these asparagus a shot of oil as well. I like the idea of asparagus rafts, but I find the spears stay together even better if they're in a grill basket.

And of course since I started running out of space, the bone-in rib eye steak goes on the sear/side burner. This one was seasoned just with EVOO, kosher salt and cracked 4-color pepper.

Not too bad a crust on this one.

I also tossed on a few corn cobs to grill which is why the steak was on the sear burner. The asparagus started cooking a bit too quickly so I moved it upstairs.

Here are the steak and mushrooms, on a vintage GrannyWare enamel plate.

The steak was a nice medium-rare. The bone goes to the neighbor's dog once I'm done with it. He's about the size of a large rat, so the bone is almost half his length. Besides - the dog can't cook, so he gets what he gets. :twisted:

And finally, the grilled corn and asparagus. The latter was a bit crispy for my taste, but still OK. That's why you need to keep an eye on the smaller spears - they burn easily.

Not sure what's on for tonight, Sunday or Monday as I'm a bit worn out cleaning up the yard again today. I may take a break from the grill for an evening. :shock:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun May 19, 2013 1:20 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I guess I still had some fire left in me after the cleanup today. Here's tonight's grill session. Steak, shrimp and a few pork chops I figured I'd cook for lunch tomorrow.

That's Steven's basic rub on the chops and nothing but garlic-infused EVOO, salt and pepper on the steak.

The steak only looks like I put BBQ sauce on it - honest! Actually, it's a little bit more garlic EVOO.

A couple shrimp got a little toasty. I seasoned these with a bit of Cajun spice - made when I doctored up a bit of the leftover Emeril's Essence I made last week. I like my Cajun spice a fair bit hotter than his stuff. :twisted:

... and one of the chops got a little bit curly, too - I forgot to score the fatty edge with a knife. I was too hungry for dinner, I guess. (Cutting and de-thatching a big overgrown lawn will do that...)

No plated pics, though, as I just ate them with potato salad and Greek salad relish. (More on that one in another post.). A little piece of one pork chop didn't survive the trip to the fridge, either. :lol:

One thing I'm going to start changing, though, is I'm going to start peeling the shrimp again. I used to do this some time ago but lately I've been a bit lazy. Those darn shells weld themselves to the meat sometimes.

And because this is a long weekend for me, I'm relaxing with Disc 4 of Season 1 of the Primal Grill S1/S2 super boxset, so that might give me some ideas, anyway.

While I'm on the subject - gee, I sure hope Steven decides to release a full-season boxset for Season 3.... :wink:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Mmmm..., Awesome cookout and fabulous eats, Canada! :bbq: You made most splendid work of those epicurean treats. I've also tried that 4 color pepper-- ain't that stuff wild?! :D Beautiful food. And I'm glad another fan of GrannyWare. :D
Got beer???

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Glad to see you caught a second wind in time for last night's dinner, and I'd say you've more than earned today and tomorrow off if you want! Hopefully you have enough leftovers to get you at least through today.

Do fire bans include charcoal grills or do they start with open burning only?

BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
Mmmm..., Awesome cookout and fabulous eats, Canada! :bbq: You made most splendid work of those epicurean treats. I've also tried that 4 color pepper-- ain't that stuff wild?! :D Beautiful food. And I'm glad another fan of GrannyWare. :D

Thanks, BC.! I lucked into a big container of the pepper because my old folks didn't like the stuff. More for me then. :)

So - is GraniteWare just an upscale, marketing-friendly version of GrannyWare? We've been calling it GrannyWare in my family for over 40 years.

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Glad to see you caught a second wind in time for last night's dinner, and I'd say you've more than earned today and tomorrow off if you want! Hopefully you have enough leftovers to get you at least through today.

Do fire bans include charcoal grills or do they start with open burning only?

Thanks for the days off. I think I'll be able to use them sometime in December.... :twisted:

Fire bans depend on the weather for the most part, and they usually start with bans on open burning. However, they tend to escalate to total fire bans really quickly after a couple of hot days and a grass fire or two.

And this is a little-known fact, but the favorite time for escalating up to total fire bans is about 11:00 AM on the Friday of a long weekend. This usually means you miss hearing about it until you get home, pack up the car and drive all the way to the campsite, only to find you should have left the s'more fixings at home.

Return to General Discussion