Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sunday Cooking...

Sunday Cooking...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 20, 2013 10:07 am
QJuju well done
well done

I am on stay-cation this week and so I have decided to grill and post as much as possible. Yesterday I made the Sweet Vidalia Salad, brined chops, and smoked deviled eggs. I also cooked some sausages for my lunch this week and made a little slaw to go with them. I did pretty good initially with photos, but as I got closer to the end things were happening pretty fast and photos were not on the top of the list. Hang on... here we go! :D

Let's start with the eggs. I make deviled eggs a lot-- I mean a lot. I have tried them many ways. I had tried APL's smoked dressed eggs before and didn't see why I went to the trouble. This time I tried them using the cooking technique that Steven describes in Planet Barbecue for the smoked egg pate. After the smoke it was back to my deviled egg recipe-- mayo, mustard, S&P. If you have not tried smoked deviled eggs... stop reading and go make some. They are delicious!! A very subtle smokiness that truly completes the egg and the bite of the mustard. I like to use chili powder instead of paprika, but the CFO said no. :cry:

I found a new use for the BGE popper rack. :wink:

I had the smoke rolling pretty good at first and it only took about 30 minutes to color these up...

The finish...

I like to make lunch in advance for the week. I live close enough to work that I can run home and heat up lunch. I do this kind of thing a lot. I got to know the butcher and what is in the sausages. These are chicken chorizo... one of my favorites.

Sorry... no finished photos yet... I will take one when I heat it up for lunch today.

I also have made a lot of slaws, this is a favorite. A cabbage of your choice, I like savoy, but this is just green and red, mayo, cider vinegar, stevia, kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, dill weed, and celery seed. Toss... could not be more simple.

The main course...

The chops were brined for 12 hours and then seasoned with black pepper, garlic salt, and onion salt and allowed to rest in the fridge for a few hours.

A simple brine; lemons, garlic, peppercorns, thyme, bay leaves, and kosher salt. Bring to a boil to dissolve salt and then refrigerate until cool before adding chops.

In the interim I prepared the habanero syrup to be used as a glaze. This was inspired by an APL recipe, but it is too sweet and not enough heat to my tastes, but I like the idea. This time I doubled the habby's and cut the Stevia in half; next time more habby's, less Stevia. It's a simple syrup so you can use sugar if you like... I don't eat sugar any more.

Bring it to a simmer and then allow to cool.

The chops are then cooked low and slow until an internal of 115 is reached. They are then set aside while the grill temp is ramped up. A typical reverse sear method.

I chose to use the large egg since I was already grilling onions. I modified the rig though, taking off the large grate, adding the spider, and putting the small cast iron grate down close to the fire. I got it screaming hot before adding the chops.

This is at the flip... 1 minute, 1/4 turn, 1 minute, flip, repeat. This is also the point where the habby syrup is applied

Simply marvelous... It was more work than going out to eat, but the meal was priceless.

Thanks for looking...
Juju
Last edited by QJuju on Mon May 20, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon May 20, 2013 10:16 am
tex_toby well done
well done

You have certainly been busy, my friend! I'd love to spend the week at your side with my fork in hand. :) Those eggs look awesome!

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Q, I think what's going to be a very good week is off to a very good start!

Post Mon May 20, 2013 2:13 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great cook, Qjuju! That habanero syrup sounds interesting too. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 3:03 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

WOW! Positively stunning meal, Qjuju! And thanks for the inspiration! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 7:15 am
sroach well done
well done

Chicken Chorizo Sausage... two of my favorite things in sausage which is another favorite thing... MMMMmmmm..

Those chops are a thing of beauty, love the size on them. and you have some beautiful cross marks on them. Job well done.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 7:49 am
QJuju well done
well done

Thanks all... here is the updated lunch photo with the finished sausage.

Seriously juicy even leftover...

Have you tried this mustard? Very tasty!

Juju

Return to General Discussion