Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion For you hot sauce fans...

For you hot sauce fans...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 21, 2013 6:07 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I just got this in the mail today from Denzel's. Someone sent me an early Fathers' Day gift!

Denzel's is a great hot sauce company in British Columbia, Canada, and they've won Scovie awards for several years as well as a number of other awards.
Their site is at:
http://www.denzelshotsauce.com/index.html

I love the 6-pack of hot sauces you can order. Denzel's has about a dozen sauces from mildly spicy to blisteringly hot, and all of them taste great. (In this case my daughter picked 6 of the ones she thought I'd like best and ordered them for me.)

Plus, from what I've seen all of their hot sauces are non-extract sauces, so this means they use habanero (or other hot pepper) powder to boost the heat rather than pure capsaicin extract. This means their sauces aren't artificially heated up by what's basically the same hot pepper extract they use in pepper spray. :twisted:

Let's start with the mild ones (and the Denzel's site rates them on a scale of 8 for heat):

• Peaches and Scream - A peach-based hot sauce (Heat Rating: 3 out of 8 )
  • Gourmet Jalapeno - Pretty self-explanatory. (Heat Rating: 4 out of 8 )
  • Lil' Smokehouse - Chipotle sauce made from applewood smoked red jalapenos. (Heat Rating: 2 out of 8 )

And now the hot ones:

• Pineapple Punch - A 3-time Scovie Award winner. It's habanero sauce with pineapple added, not the other way around. :D (Heat Rating: 6 out of 8 )
  • Dangerous Goods - Habanero-based with lots of garlic. (Heat Rating: 7 out of 8 )
  • Fire Hazard - Basically the above with extra habanero powder. (Heat Rating: 8 out of 8 - think "Daves Insanity" or "Blair's Sudden Death" heat levels)

To keep things in perspective, Denzel's Gourmet Habanero sauce is a 6 out of 8 for heat. So that means the last two on the above list are hotter. I'd bet they're hotter than the Grace habanero sauce I normally use when I feel like being self-abusive and masochistic. :twisted:

I'm really looking forward to trying out the other 5 of the sauces they currently make. Apparently their BBQ sauces and other products have also won a number of awards too.

I'f I'm still standing after trying these out I'll let all of you know how they taste. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 8:43 pm
sroach well done
well done

What a package, if it were mean I would open that Jalapeno hot sauce first... Looks like some good stuff there.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 2:14 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

My, what a wonderful gift! Being a card carrying chilehead, I can appreciate that. I also appreciate sauces that are made with integrity. You know, I've actually had some jalapeno or cayenne sauces that were significantly hotter than some of these watered-down habanero sauces floatin' about. Thanks for sharing, CBG! :D
Got beer???

Post Wed May 22, 2013 5:28 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

Nice selection, I would probably start with the Dangerous Goods, I've been experimenting with making my own this year and have gotten to really like the habenaro-garlic blend. Maybe hot sauce could be another sticky if you get enough pepper head hot sauce lovers.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Wed May 22, 2013 7:18 am
QJuju well done
well done

Fire Hazard all the way! Nice gift though and I bet they are all very tasty.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 10:53 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This is kind of ironic, but I made Buffa-Que shrimp last night and didn't use one of these sauces. I had some Bufalo red jalapeno sauce and Frank's I had to use up first. But next batch, I'm using these sauces. The shrimp were barely toasty - like a 1 or 2 out of 8 on Denzel's heat scale and I was aiming for a 6.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 8:50 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a nice gift! I still have a number of bottles left from various birthdays, etc. that I need to use...I should start planning ahead for those meals when I don't have to cook for Mrs. Chicken. :lol:

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:51 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
That's a nice gift! I still have a number of bottles left from various birthdays, etc. that I need to use...I should start planning ahead for those meals when I don't have to cook for Mrs. Chicken. :lol:

That's actually why I made the Buffa-Cue shrimp. I had a few older bottles of sauce to get rid of. :twisted:

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:27 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Here's an update: I tried out the Dangerous Goods sauce last night mixed with a bit of basic BBQ sauce. The hot sauce definitely has a lot of heat - I tried some by itself and not only did it have a really good bite but a lot of taste as well like a good hot sauce should.

It didn't taste like a 7 out of 8 for heat, though - maybe a 5 out of 8. But then, I've tried a lot of extract-based sauces and they tend to be way hotter than the ones made just with hot peppers, too. My internal scale may be off because of this.

Post Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:10 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've got a sideline job making pens and selling them at a local weekend farmers' market and the guy beside my booth is a Jamaican chef who makes jerk seasonings, marinades, and above all, several types of hot sauce. Pics will be coming soon, but I've bought a few bottles off the guy and I really like it. The consistency is a bit thinner than Denzel's but it's really tasty with a lot of heat.

I've bought the scotch bonnet and ghost pepper sauces, but I got good news today. Henry (the chef) is sourcing some Trinidad Scorpion peppers this week. Hopefully that means he'll have some bottled by Aug. 31. More to come.

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

How did a Jamaican find his way to Alberta??? :lol:

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:40 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
How did a Jamaican find his way to Alberta??? :lol:

He swam.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:21 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I've had Denzel's before and it is good. To tired to get up and look but probably 7 or 8 open in my frige and 20 or 25 unopened in pantry. Bhut Jolokia And Trinidad Scorpian are open.
You said something about Denzel's using a powdered pepper ... Good idea. When I make my own, I make a mash and let stand, covered for a few days on the counter, to get a little fermentation going. That is the way I learned to do it. See powdered eliminating the mash but then I have no fermentation. Think I'll stick with my tried and true.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
I've had Denzel's before and it is good. To tired to get up and look but probably 7 or 8 open in my frige and 20 or 25 unopened in pantry. Bhut Jolokia And Trinidad Scorpian are open.
You said something about Denzel's using a powdered pepper ... Good idea. When I make my own, I make a mash and let stand, covered for a few days on the counter, to get a little fermentation going. That is the way I learned to do it. See powdered eliminating the mash but then I have no fermentation. Think I'll stick with my tried and true.

I like Bob-BQN's method of smoking and drying habaneros to make Dragon Salt (1/2 salt and 1/2 habanero powder). Denzel's uses similar dried and powdered habaneros for a few of their sauces too. The good thing about using habanero powder is that the sauce retains the taste but gets a boost in heat. While they're not as hot as the artificially-enhanced sauces like Dave's Insanity, Denzel's hottest sauces have a lot of kick. I expect they'll try a Bhut Jolokia or Trinidad Scorpion sauce soon, assuming they can get enough of them.

Return to General Discussion