Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How green is too green to use

How green is too green to use

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 pm
SlowSmoken rare
rare

Please pardon the nob question but still learning. My neighbor is a landscaper and had to cut down to plumb trees that were healthy and alive, just in the way. Good for me he thought of me and brought me all the wood.

I am in the process of cutting it up into useable chucks. I was wanting to use some this weekend in a gas smoker but this wood is just so wet. Does this mean it will smoke better or do I need to let it dry out over the summer before using.

Any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Slow

Post Fri May 24, 2013 3:50 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

How big are the pieces anbd how long ago were they cut? If they're small logs or hefty branches you'll want to let them season for a few months but small branches and twigs can be OK after a few weeks.

Post Fri May 24, 2013 6:56 pm
SlowSmoken rare
rare

The tree's where cut yesterday and they are 4" in diameter to about 2" in diameter. I have peeled all the bark off today (what a PITA that was) and cut everything into about 9" in length. I an now splitting it into strips.

Post Fri May 24, 2013 8:26 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good luck! Do you have any way to speed up the drying process? I hesitate to suggest an oven because of anything the plum wood might give off as it dries.

Post Fri May 24, 2013 9:06 pm
SlowSmoken rare
rare

I guess I will be letting it dry over the summer before using. Just went out to check it and now that it is all peeled water is just oozing out.

At least I am building up my winter supply.

Thanks

Post Fri May 24, 2013 9:50 pm

I have used freshly cut apple wood as a smoke source on a few occasions, mostly while grilling but also on a pork butt and a chuckie and I must say the smoke was very good quality and I will do it again. I used pieces about 3" long by 1" thick.
I cook with charcoal and plum wood may act differently than apple, so YMMV if you use it green.
I don't think you need to peel off the bark.

Post Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

SlowSmoken wrote:
I guess I will be letting it dry over the summer before using. Just went out to check it and now that it is all peeled water is just oozing out.

At least I am building up my winter supply.

Thanks

You don't need to peel the bark.
Usually wood needs to season 1/2 year.
You can heat in your gas smoker on low for several years to speed up the process.
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:35 am
SlowSmoken rare
rare

I spent half a day peeling all the bark :( . At least I learned another lesson.

Post Sat May 25, 2013 2:30 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Here is a sure-fire way to tell if wood is seasoned enough: knock a few pieces together.

If you get more of a "thunk" sound, it still needs more seasoning. If it has more of a "ring" to it, then it's done.

I got a feel for this sound by knocking a few scraps of 2x4 together. They make the "ringing" sound.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion