Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Tutorial: How to upload an Avatar picture

Tutorial: How to upload an Avatar picture

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Have you ever wondered how we get those little pictures posted beneath our usernames (like the one to the left)? For those of you who are unfamiliar with them, these are called "avatars" and they're a common feature on many forums. Avatars weren't available for a number of years, but they have now been enabled on this board. (And no, they're not related to any James Cameron films... :D)

Avatars can be added to your profile quite easily. Here's how:

1) This should just be common sense - please keep in the spirit of this board and don't post objectionable avatars. If we see these, the admins will be notified and the pic will have to be removed. Also - please don't use copyrighted images.

2) This is the trickiest part - you need to edit the picture you want and resize it to 80 x 80 pixels on your own computer and save it (JPEG format works best). The file needs to be less than 6 KB in size for it to be allowed by the board software so you may have to tweak it a bit. This board doesn't have image edting software built in, so you will need to do this in a program such as Photoshop or the software that comes with your computer (Windows or MacOS).

The file size can often be reduced just by cropping and resizing the image and then saving it. If that doesn't work, a lot of image editing software allows you to save the image at a higher compression rate (also called "lower quality in some software). Check your software manual or Help files for specific information.

3) Now that your image is ready, you just need to upload it using the following steps:
    Click on your username at the top right of the window
    Choose User Control Panel
    Click the Profile tab
    Click Edit Avatar
    In the field marked "Upload form your machine" click Browse. This will open a browse window on your own computer.
    Browse to the folder where your new avatar image has been saved (usually your Pictures folder), select it, and click Open
    Click the Submit button, and you're done!

And that's it - you've uploaded an avatar pic. Have fun!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CG, do you mean like this? Woohoo!-- You're a hero! I feel this gives us a more personal touch. You know, the one thing I do admit to missing from the old ketchup/mustard board was the sign-up dates we had displayed on the left with our areas. Image Way to go, CG!
Got beer???

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
CG, do you mean like this? Woohoo!-- You're a hero! I feel this gives us a more personal touch. You know, the one thing I do admit to missing from the old ketchup/mustard board was the sign-up dates we had displayed on the left with our areas. Image Way to go, CG!

See - that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! NICE avatar, BC - it looks perfect! :cheers:
(Love the smiley, too.)
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion