Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fathers Day Steaks (With Pictures)

Fathers Day Steaks (With Pictures)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

My wife asked me what I wanted to do for Father's Day and since my son plays travel baseball I didn't know how long we'd be at the field on Sunday. She said "how about I get you the best prime ribeye the butcher has but you'll have to make it. I don't want to ruin it" So after my son's team was eliminated we went to the butcher and I let her do all the choosing. She picked up some flat irons for her and the kids and got me a ribeye. I love this butcher and even though they were insanely busy (she was bout 33 numbers deep)

My wife likes just good ol' sea salt and pepper on the steaks so they were rubbed down with that except mine which had Ground Sichaun Peppercorns and Sea Salt. It's supposed to be spicier but honestly I didn't notice that much of an increase in heat.

Untitled by EKomrska, on Flickr

Got the Egg up to about 700 to quickly sear the Ribeye and take it off to get the Egg back down to 400 or so.

After it was seared I let it rest. Put the flat irons on and then the ribeye in a cooler part of the Egg. Took them off after the poke test told me they were about medium rare plus.

And the Ribeye resting after being further cooked

We had some local indiana sweet corn (found some at the store without husks), baked potatoes and steaks. I cooked some bacon for the potatoes and some mushrooms since my 5 year old son and I love sauteed mushrooms with our steaks. Also, made some compound butter. Simple selection of garlic, rosemary and butter for the steak.

This was a fantastic meal. The steak was just so darn good words can't even describe. I could have probably eaten another one and never thought twice about it!

Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:39 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The steaks look great and I like how you decked out the potato, too!

I need to try compound butters more.

Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:22 am
sroach well done
well done

Great looking steaks, love the color of the flat irons.

Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:00 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

EddieK1376 wrote:
My wife likes just good ol' sea salt and pepper on the steaks so they were rubbed down with that except mine which had Ground Sichaun Peppercorns and Sea Salt. It's supposed to be spicier but honestly I didn't notice that much of an increase in heat.

Marvelous looking steaks, Eddie! :cheers:

But as for the Sichuan peppercorns they're not actually hotter than regular black or white pepper (and I find the white is hotter). Sichuan pepper just has a slightly different taste - some (including me) describe it as "citrusy" or "lemony".
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:41 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
EddieK1376 wrote:

But as for the Sichuan peppercorns they're not actually hotter than regular black or white pepper (and I find the white is hotter). Sichuan pepper just has a slightly different taste - some (including me) describe it as "citrusy" or "lemony".

Yeah I dunno, they describe it as leaving a surprisingly numbing feeling on the tongue. I don't get that numbing feeling...Haha :)

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

EddieK1376 wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:
EddieK1376 wrote:

Yeah I dunno, they describe it as leaving a surprisingly numbing feeling on the tongue. I don't get that numbing feeling...Haha :)

Wasn't that a Righteous Brothers song? "You've lost that numbing feeling...." :mrgreen:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:51 am
QJuju well done
well done

It just doesn't get any better than a well cooked steak. Nice job and a great meal.

Return to General Discussion