Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Using a Blow Dryer

Using a Blow Dryer

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:34 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I had never thought about this but it makes a lot of sense. It was either in last Sunday's Parade Magazine or the USA Today Weekly that come with my Sunday newspapers.
This is from author and self-proclaimed"food explorer", Marcy Smothers. "Roasting a chicken? Break out a blow dryer. Really! Use the no heat setting to dry the skin. "The circulating air will help draw the moisture from the skin, giving your chicken a crispy crust when roasted in a hot, dry oven."
This applies to oven roasted but bet it works also in the moister environment of a covered kettle or smoker.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:23 pm
sroach well done
well done

How long does something like that take?

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:13 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Treat it like Peking Duck.

Just plop in down in front of a fan after towel drying.
Frees your hands up.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sounds like a really interesting approach. I can see doing it after salting so that the moisture's able to draw the salt into the meat before the dryer (or fan) dries it out.

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:05 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

The tip did not say. I would guess not more than a few minutes. I can usually get crisp skin. I did not get it as crips as I like last night due to the temp drop from the storm. Weather service has officially called it a derecho. I'll have to try the next time I do chicken and advise.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very interesting idea, Cactus1! I like to air-dry my chicken and fish before cooking it, but the blow dryer idea would dry it a lot quicker.

Unfortunately, the only blow dryers I have are wall-mounted units I got when local hotel closed down. However, I do have 2 variable-temperature heat guns, so they might work on their absolute lowest setting. Otherwise I might crisp the skin just a bit too much. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 am
Attrill well done
well done

I could definitely see that helping to get a crisp skin. Another method is described in the Zuni Cafe cookbook - leave the chicken covered in salt overnight and then brush off the salt before roasting. It definitely draws a lot of moisture out of the skin.

Of course judicious use of a weed burner also works very well for crisping up the skin :D

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Think the heat gun, set very low, might work. I air dry fish and jerky, to let the pellicle form, when I cold smoke.
I am not a big fan of presalting - I actually use very little salt - if it's in a rub that I've bought or made - but use very infrequently otherwise. It's easier to season with salt after the fact than when cooking.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Think the heat gun, set very low, might work. I air dry fish and jerky, to let the pellicle form, when I cold smoke.
I am not a big fan of presalting - I actually use very little salt - if it's in a rub that I've bought or made - but use very infrequently otherwise. It's easier to season with salt after the fact than when cooking.

Right on! Someone else here knows what a pellicle is! :D

One of my biggest challenges when air-drying any kind of meat is to keep vermin such as flies away from it. That's apparently one of the reasons that smoke was used in preserving fish and meat in the first place - it kept the flies away. Watch the movie Into The Wild if you ever want to see how not to do this.

But since I can't smoke meat like that indoors, I like to use one of those small mesh covers used for picnics to cover the meat while I'm air-drying it. Too bad I can't find them as easily as I'd like.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:54 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller - I set on a cake rack on my kitchen counter to air dry. Flies usually not a problem in the house unless I don't take out my garbage for a while and the maggots somehow get into it :D . If I do get an occasional fly in the house I just open my patio door a little and wait to they land on the screen and let them out :D. Wife is a maniac :D. She sees a fly in the house and she's all over it with a kitchen towel :( . Tell her I don't want fly guts all over my kitchen or on my kitchen towels :D . I do all of my smoking on my deck except when I occasionally use my Cameron's Stove Top smoker.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:21 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
CharredGriller - I set on a cake rack on my kitchen counter to air dry. Flies usually not a problem in the house unless I don't take out my garbage for a while and the maggots somehow get into it :D . If I do get an occasional fly in the house I just open my patio door a little and wait to they land on the screen and let them out :D. Wife is a maniac :D. She sees a fly in the house and she's all over it with a kitchen towel :( . Tell her I don't want fly guts all over my kitchen or on my kitchen towels :D . I do all of my smoking on my deck except when I occasionally use my Cameron's Stove Top smoker.

Same here - I get the odd one that slips through the door or sometimes a hole in a window screen and I patch those holes as soon as I see them. And the garbage doesn't sit around that long in my place, even though I don't have a wife to nag me about it. :twisted:

I think it goes back to the movie I referred to in my post above, but I think it's also because I just plain hate bugs. :twisted:

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:41 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

I learned sometime back that secret to Peking duck was to separate the skin from the meat. I read the Chinese use electric air pumps (or manual bicycle pumps) to avoid tearing it. I usually just use my fingers (gently) but it DOES make for much crispier skin.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:28 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

phillyjazz - Knew that about the Chinese and Peking Duck. I use somewhat the same method on whole chicken.
Good Peking Duck story ... Many years ago I'm on our first date with my first wife. We're walking around, in Toronto, Chinatown and seeing all of the ducks in the windows. It's late afternoon and don't want to buy one yet. Around midnite we're getting ready to go back to the Niagra Falls area, and find one shop still open with one duck left. When we get back, had to be 2 or 3 in the morning by now, we opened a bottle of champagne and devoured the duck. I wrapped the head and neck in a paper towel and stuck it in my freezer. Kept it for years and actually moved it with us when we got married and relocated from the Niagra Falls area.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion