Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Beef shanks

Beef shanks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last week Beercuer posted some beef shanks he'd grilled so I decided to give it a try with a couple I had in the freezer. Previously I'd only used shanks, both smoked and unsmoked, in soup.

I started by seasoning them with salt, pepper, and onion powder, and wrapping them in bacon.

I cooked them over a direct medium charcoal fire for about 8 or 9 minutes per side with the lid closed.

Even though they cooked for a fairly long time they stayed pretty rare, and had good flavor. The meat was a bit chewy but it helped to break them down along the connective tissue lines and to remove the outer silverskin prior to grilling.

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:16 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - I never grill beef shank as it's tough stuff and I normally use it for stew or soup stock. I think I'll try them this way as shanks have a lot of flavor too. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:23 pm
BBQ Deputy

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP:

The marrow was fantastic! :wink:

I doubt it'd ever be possible to have tender shanks without cooking them very thoroughly, but with some judicious slicing and a strong set of teeth they're very acceptable.

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:30 pm
QJuju well done
well done

I haven't tried them that way, but I have done a whole shank. Those look delicious and perfect for me and the missus.

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:39 am
BBQ Deputy

I kept them low-carb just for you! :wink:

Return to General Discussion