Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Why am I sitting staring at my smoker?

Why am I sitting staring at my smoker?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:23 pm
newbque rare
rare

seriously, I pull up a chair, I open a beer (Troegs pale ale) and sit in the dark watching the smoke pour out in the beam of a flashlight. I don't smoke often, so maybe it's the thick layer of rancid grease on the interior that smells like heaven when it heats up?
nestled inside is an 8lb pork shoulder that should be done by six am when I put four racks of ribs in.

just tucked her in for the night....I trimmed the fat cap off, and put the shoulder on the rack fat side down...then put the trimmed fat on the top rack to drip.

1001657_10151522337377862_1787294348_n.jpg
1001657_10151522337377862_1787294348_n.jpg (99.71 KiB) Viewed 1795 times

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:14 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's always the smell that gets me, too!

So how'd everything turn out? That was a good idea to reuse the fat.

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:59 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
It's always the smell that gets me, too!

So how'd everything turn out? That was a good idea to reuse the fat.

+1. I clean my smoker fairly regularly, but it still has that great smell. And putting the fat on the top rack is a good idea as you'll get a better bark than if you just loosely reattached it to the pork.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Attrill well done
well done

Staring at the smoker is half the fun of cooking! I'm ashamed to admit that I've found myself in the backyard staring at the smoker even when nothing is cooking :wink:

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hmmm...I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not! :lol:

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Hmmm...I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not! :lol:

I'd say it's more fun to watch it when something is cooking on it, but whatever floats your boat.... :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:15 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

If you don't stare at it... It may get out of control on you! 8)

jhumpert well done
well done

I also catch myself staring at my grill when it is not being used dreaming of what I want to try next. Hopefully after August I will be doing some ribs trying to replicate some techniques I hopefully get to learn from competition team. But nothing beats the smell and aroma of pork butts or brisket cooking
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:44 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Anything with a fire captivates me... Now full it with food and I'm in a trance. :lol:

Return to General Discussion