Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rib Stack... Variation on a Theme

Rib Stack... Variation on a Theme

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:55 pm
QJuju well done
well done

I don't get around much anymore as work is keeping me pretty busy, but that is most definitely a good thing. I made APL's rib stack last year and thought it was good, but needed a lot of work. So, I worked on it. Here is the variation I came up with. I changed his baste to garlic butter, removed the finishing dressing totally, and the finishing salt as it isn't required after the bacon treatment and seasoning as well. Every rib is pretty tasty, but we'll do this one again.

Here is the first part... The stack of bacon wrapped ribs is wrapped in saran then foil. Cooked for 1 hour at 250 then the wrap is removed. Smoked for 2 hours then unstacked and finished direct while basting and flipping every 5 minutes.

Finished...

We didn't eat the bones... :)

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:18 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Wow...............drooling 8)

Looks wonderful :D

Greg

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:51 am
sroach well done
well done

Pictures are unreal Qjuju!

That picture with everything plated up is incredible looking!!!

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:43 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a really unique concept! Since no smoke can get through the foil and plastic wrap the bacon must provide any smoke flavor...what kind did you use, Q? The finished product was outstanding!! :thumbup:

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:58 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
That's a really unique concept! Since no smoke can get through the foil and plastic wrap the bacon must provide any smoke flavor...what kind did you use, Q? The finished product was outstanding!! :thumbup:

+1. I've never seen ribs wrapped and foiled like that especially at the beginning of a cook. Looks like they turned out great - thanks, QJuju! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:48 pm
QJuju well done
well done

That method was new to me too. It is the second time-- followed APL exactly first time and my way this time. All due respect... I prefer my way.

it is true that there isn't much smoke at first, but did get a small smoke ring. I used Hormel... Cheap since it was to be discarded. I think most of the smoke flavor comes from the 30 minutes or so of direct grilling.

I won't say I will never do them any other way, but I will do it again.

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Well, this is certainly new to me. I don't know what benefit this method offers over traditional smoking or the 3-2-1 method. I've been out of the loop for a while. The final product does look mighty tasty!

Return to General Discussion