Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion A tale of two tenderloins

A tale of two tenderloins

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:28 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Over the weekend I made a couple of stuffed tenderloins. I had wanted to cook a loin but the only ones at the store were the whole cuts and I didn't want that much, so I chose a package of tenderloins instead.

The first step was to butterfly them; 2 cuts for 3 pieces.
Image Image

After salting and peppering the butterflied tenderloins I started the duxelle by running 8 ounces of mushrooms and a shallot through the food processor.

I browned some bacon pieces to render the fat, which was then used to cook down the mushrooms and shallots. When they were just about done I added the bacon back in along with a splash of madeira.
Image Image
Image Image

This was all done Friday night so the mushroom mixture would have time to cool in the fridge, and on Saturday morning I used it to stuff the tenderloins. One had a small hole that I covered with a folded piece of bacon.
Image Image

For Saturday night supper I took one of the tenderloins and grilled it over a medium-low direct fire, about 5-6 minutes a side, until the temperature reached 140.

We were very happy with the results. The mushrooms and shallot added a lot of flavor and salting the pork ahead of time made a real difference.

This left me with the other, identical tenderloin and I decided to smoke it. I also had another 8 ounces of mushrooms so I put them in a clean foil drip pan along with some butter and pepper.

I kept the temperature around 275-300 until the internal temp reached 140.

I don't think much dripped from the tenderloin but the mushrooms still cooked nicely in the butter.

Even though it wasn't on the fire all that long the meat picked up some nice smoke.

But what made all the difference in the world was putting the mushrooms and butter over the sliced pork. They added another level of rich, smoky flavor, and Mrs. Chicken and I agreed that this was a winner.

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:42 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I am soooo drooling! I believe I'd love it both ways. :D

Those mushrooms on that smoked tenderloin put it right over the top! 8) Great job!!!

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:09 am
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, Bob. I don't know if there was any one single inspiration for this recipe because I watch so many cooking shows, although the only chef I recall using the word "duxelle" (or "duxelles") is Hubert Keller. :lol:

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:42 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

They look fabulous both ways, Brad! The smoked tenderloin seems like it would be more of a challenge because it's such a lean meat and has a tendency to dry out. But it looks like you nailed it. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 pm
BBQ Deputy

Thanks, guys! The very outside did get a little dry but overall it was still quite moist, and the butter sauce certainly didn't hurt!

Post Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 pm
Steve D medium
medium

Is it OK to drool on your keyboard? That looks SO good...

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:01 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Amazing post, Brad. Your photos and step by steps are crystal clear. Love the blush of pink in the pork. The mention of duxelles (mushroom hash) brought back memories--I attended the La Varenne cooking school in Paris. La Varenne was one of the first celebrity chefs in France (he lived in the 17th century). He worked for a man named the Marquis d'Uxelles, for whom he created the mushroom hash, known forever more as duxelles. SR

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:09 pm
BBQ Deputy

Thanks everybody and thank you Steven for the history lesson. I had no idea the name came from a real person!

Return to General Discussion