Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork Roasts on Cobb Grill

Pork Roasts on Cobb Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:17 pm
Donald1800 rare
rare

This last weekend, I smoked my first two pork (Sirloin?) roasts using my Cobb Grill (10 1/2" cooking dia.) and SR seasonings. Previous 'BBQs' were without any knowledge or seasonings on a weber 'Smokey Joe', but indirect grilled. Previous results were marginally O.K. This time, I used 'Jeremiah Irish Red' beer and SR 'All-Purpose Rub' injected in both roasts followed by olive oil and SR 'Sicilian Rub' on their outside, and smoked ~2 hrs. to 145* F (the larger roast took 2 hrs. 15 min.), and smoked with Mesquite chips/pieces. My Cobb Grill was initially set up with 8 Kingsford briquettes, with refills approx. every 30 mins., but the short ~2 hr. cooking time suggests that I should reduce the briquettes to 6, shooting for the 3 hr. low temp range. I was VERY surprised to see that the Irish Red Beer and Red 'All-Purpose' seasoning permeated nearly all of the roasts giving a red-ish tint to the meat. When I sliced the meat, it was very tender and moist with un-noticeable shrinkage. My wife, who is NOT a pork fan, absolutely loved it when she ate two sandwiches.

Smoked Pork Roast.JPG
Smoked Pork Roast.JPG (115.62 KiB) Viewed 1576 times

The Cobb Grill has been modified extensively by me. If anyone is interested in what I did, let me know and I will post info. and pictures.

Cobb Grill Setup.JPG
Cobb Grill Setup.JPG (117.12 KiB) Viewed 1576 times

Donald1800

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:30 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

This looks awesome. Big flavor from a small grill. I'm impressed!

SR

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:44 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've always liked the Cobb grill, and the pics above show why. Welcome aboard, and excellent job, Donald1800! :cheers:

And feel free to post the mods here in detail - we already do this with CharGrillers, Webers, BGEs and the like, so it would be good to see another grill there too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:14 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job, Donald! I'd never heard of Cobb before and it looks like a neat little grill.

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:02 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I kept looking for the CORN! Then I re-read the title...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like a fine roast. Excellent work Don! 8)

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:01 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Donald1800 wrote:
This last weekend, I smoked my first two pork (Sirloin?) roasts using my Cobb Grill (10 1/2" cooking dia.) and SR seasonings. Previous 'BBQs' were without any knowledge or seasonings on a weber 'Smokey Joe', but indirect grilled. Previous results were marginally O.K. This time, I used 'Jeremiah Irish Red' beer and SR 'All-Purpose Rub' injected in both roasts followed by olive oil and SR 'Sicilian Rub' on their outside, and smoked ~2 hrs. to 145* F (the larger roast took 2 hrs. 15 min.), and smoked with Mesquite chips/pieces. My Cobb Grill was initially set up with 8 Kingsford briquettes, with refills approx. every 30 mins., but the short ~2 hr. cooking time suggests that I should reduce the briquettes to 6, shooting for the 3 hr. low temp range. I was VERY surprised to see that the Irish Red Beer and Red 'All-Purpose' seasoning permeated nearly all of the roasts giving a red-ish tint to the meat. When I sliced the meat, it was very tender and moist with un-noticeable shrinkage. My wife, who is NOT a pork fan, absolutely loved it when she ate two sandwiches.

Smoked Pork Roast.JPG

The Cobb Grill has been modified extensively by me. If anyone is interested in what I did, let me know and I will post info. and pictures.
Nice job Donald but gotta admit I'm skeptical. Gonna do some research on Cobb Grills. You got a real nice result, in a short time, with minimal fuel. Took those roasts to 145 in 2 or 2 1/4 hours. OK at 145, but barely. May want to go to 155 -160. This is where I normally take a whole pork loin.
Cobb Grill Setup.JPG

Donald1800
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:13 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Donald -Just read about them. Seems like a pretty good little grill. What kind of mods did you do to yours? Not going to spend a buck and a half on one, but if I see one around at a good price, I might pick one up just to experiment with it.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:55 am
Donald1800 rare
rare

Cactus1:
It has only been recently that I became familiar with BBQ/Grilling techniques. In the past with my Weber, I just threw on the meat and cooked it until done - salt and black pepper the only seasoning used. Just recently I have been watching Steve's 'Primal Grill' and 'BBQU' on my local PBS stations, and when I found out that his knowledge was on e-books, I bought every one. I have been reading non-stop for about 3 weeks and just started putting the information together on my first Pork Roasts posted here.

Even though the initial briquette load was only 8 at the start, I had to add 3 briquettes and wet chips every ~30 mins. So, after 2 - 2 1/4 hrs. I did use 20 briquettes. What I will use on the next Pork Roast is 6 to start and 2 for refills in hopes of stretching the smoking time and lower temps 3+ hrs., although I doubt I will see any noticeable improvement over this Roasts results.

My selection of 145*F final cooking temp. was based on the new preferred temps. for Pork published pretty much everywhere, including on my new 'Instant Read' cooking thermometer. I have used this temp. on a previous no-frills Pork Roast that did not have the orange-ish/red-ish tint that this roast had. I can clearly see the seasoning particles distributed throughout this Roast by the injected Irish Red Beer (1/2C ea. roast, 7 1/2% alc.). These roasts were 'marinated' overnight in the fridge before cooking. The juiciness, tenderness and succulent flavor was far beyond my expectations. Even the selection of the Irish Red Beer added a very noticeable depth to the flavor. I will definitely be doing this again very soon.

I agree about the price of the Cobb Grill. I definitely could not have afforded to buy it with my retirement income. But, it was/is a very nice gift and will be well used on my annual camping/hunting/fishing trips from now on. And, with all of the cooking accessories they included in the gift, I have a very versatile outdoor cooking system that can even burn hardwood pieces from the forest if started in the chimney.

My tutorial/info. on the Cobb Grill mods. are found further down in this forum - until they are moved into a more suitable forum. Thank you all for you comments.

Donald1800

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:48 am
Griffin well done
well done

Interesting little grill. Never seen one of those before. Looking forward tos eeing what food you can put out with it.

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:29 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Just read your mods and more about a Cobb. You're doing real good! I'm only one in family that will eat anything with a little moo or oink in it. I have to cook to the higher temps for family and friends. I keep them moist and they're good. Wife sees a little pink, other than a smoke ring on her meat and it's back on the grill or in the smoker.
Raichlen books are great, I have all the print and most of the e-books. If you're going to only have one hard copy, get "How To Grill". After years of experience, I refer to it often, and have probably given 20 or so copies as gifts over the years.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion