Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilling the Perfect Sausage

Grilling the Perfect Sausage

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:26 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Anyone crave a mile long grilled pepper and sausage sandwich? Anyone want to hear my iconoclastic method for grilling sausages without flare-ups (but with plenty of smoke flavor)? Check out my 10 tips for grilling the perfect sausage. And tell us YOUR strategies for nailing the prefect link.

http://barbecuebible.com/2013/08/22/grilled-sausages-no-more-flare-ups/#.UhiJchY5tlI

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I see rule #1 broken far too often during tailgating. Grills overloaded with charcoal that's then doused with lighter fluid, and then lit and allowed to burn for maybe 10 minutes before the sausages go on. I can set up my Weber Go-Anywhere with a dozen lit briquettes even spaced across the grate and there's enough heat for gentle cooking. Sure, it takes longer than 30 seconds (up to 20 minutes at times) but I'm in no hurry.

For #7 I have a set of tongs that have nylon or some other kind of plasticky sort of ends. They're scalloped but thicker than metal so there are no sharp edges - perfect for delicate things.

Sausages that're too lean sometimes don't do well on the grill. By the time they're safely done they can be dry because there just wasn't enough fat...use them for sauces instead!

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:33 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Tip #6 is the one I didn't use until lately. Since I've been oiling the casings the sausages I've cooked have turned out just as nice as the ones in the photo in Steven's article.

Because I often grill sausages along with other meats I'm not able to indirect grill them. The trick I use is to grill them directly over medium-high heat till they start browning, and then move them up to the warming rack to finish. This frees up some real estate on the grill grates, and allows the sausages to cook more gently about 4-5 inches above the direct heat so it works exactly like indirect grilling.

I do find, however, that no matter how gently I treat them, some casings crack or split a little bit so I get some juices leaking out. That's another reason for finishing them on the warming rack - those juices baste any food underneath. This works really well with pork steaks or chops as it adds to the flavor.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion