Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chuck steak & eggplant

Chuck steak & eggplant

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:29 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last week my kids visited my parents and came home with a couple of small eggplant(s?), so for supper Saturday night I grilled one along with the other chuck steak from the chile-lime wing cook.

I salted the slices for an hour to reduce the bitterness, blotted them with paper towels, and topped them with olive oil (they really soaked it up), dried oregano, and dried basil.

It didn't take more than 4 or 5 minutes per side to cook them, and they were quite done. The sun's going down a lot earlier these days...
Image Image

Normally I don't care for eggplant but I'll eat it if it's been grilled. It didn't have a lot of flavor and frankly I think I tasted the oil and herbs more than anything, but the texture wasn't bad so I ate several slices while Mrs. Chicken finished the rest and said I did a good job. :lol:

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The steak and the pasta salad look great, Brad! :twisted:

Sorry - but the only way I eat eggplant is in a dip (but then I love the stuff). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I was pretty hesitant about it at first but it surprised me...not that I'll be making a meal out of eggplant anytime soon but if I'm requested to grill it I might have a couple of pieces.

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:42 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I was pretty hesitant about it at first but it surprised me...not that I'll be making a meal out of eggplant anytime soon but if I'm requested to grill it I might have a couple of pieces.

It's the skin I don't like - and the same goes for grilled zucchini. I take the stuff off because it often becomes a charred, flaky mess.

But other than the skin I don't mind eggplant if it's done right. Zucchini is higher up on my preferred list, though. That would be even more true if the local zucchini I've seen lately didn't look like it had been harvested with a weed whacker. :cry:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion