Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoking & allergies

Smoking & allergies

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:21 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1's post about having allergies got me wondering: do those of you who unfortunately have to deal with allergies find that grilling and smoking can make them worse, at least temporarily? I never really thought about it before because I'm lucky enough to not have any, but when we grill and smoke we're often exposed to a lot of potential irritants (other than that one guy who keeps telling you how you should be cooking :wink: ).

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:56 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Cactus1's post about having allergies got me wondering: do those of you who unfortunately have to deal with allergies find that grilling and smoking can make them worse, at least temporarily? I never really thought about it before because I'm lucky enough to not have any, but when we grill and smoke we're often exposed to a lot of potential irritants (other than that one guy who keeps telling you how you should be cooking :wink: ).

Yes - sometimes even being around a campfire aggravates my allergies. However, my allergies are to birch (mild), poplar (mild) and grass (moderate) so since I never use birch or poplar in the smoker I'm usually not too badly affected - nothing a Claritin or other allergy med won't fix. Plus - my allergies have gotten much less severe in the past 25 years.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:03 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

My primary allergy when I was a kid was fresh cut grass. I took Contact & Sudafed when they were both prescription drugs. I self medicated with over the counter Sudafed for years and thought I had grown out of my allergy. The past couple of years I've noticed mild allergy reaction and this year it has been really bad. Claritan does not help me and I have not tried others. I go to my primary care a week from Monday for follow up on my recent bronchitis attack. I will have him do a complete allergy panel to find out exactly what I am allergic to (want to adopt a rescue puppy but need to make sure I'm not allergic to pet dander). I've never even considered smoke from the grills or smokers but I guess it could be possible - I've used over 160 lb. of charcoal, primarily Trader Joe's (Rancher) and Royal Oak, and wood since Father's Day weekend and strive for the thin blue/white but guess I've breathed in my fair share of smoke when I first light the chimney.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:11 am
Griffin well done
well done

The past few years, something has started affecting me a lot worse. Gotta be something environmental, because it only happens at certain times of the year, right now being one of them. My chest gets tight and its hard to breathe/take a deep breath. Doctor gave me a rescue inhaler and one hit and I'm good, but not happy that I have to use something. It's not so much the smoke that bothers me, just being outside for long periods of time. Doesn't help that during the summer, Dallas often has warnings for Ozone Level Orange when the ozone gets bad.

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:38 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
The past few years, something has started affecting me a lot worse. Gotta be something environmental, because it only happens at certain times of the year, right now being one of them. My chest gets tight and its hard to breathe/take a deep breath. Doctor gave me a rescue inhaler and one hit and I'm good, but not happy that I have to use something. It's not so much the smoke that bothers me, just being outside for long periods of time. Doesn't help that during the summer, Dallas often has warnings for Ozone Level Orange when the ozone gets bad.

Grif - I was given an inhaler at the hospital. I'm not real happy about having to use it either. I took a hit yesterday morning and have not had to use since and I'm breathing better than I have all summer. I will use the inhaler if I have to - going to the ER at 01:something in the morning wasn't fun either. Going to have my primary care run an allergy panel when I see him next week. Know what I was allergic to as a kid but probably big differences today. Something in the air or house has definitely been bothering me all summer.
I compound my own problems by smoking cigarettes. I'm down to a half pack or so a day and hope to totally "ween" off of them in next several weeks by using an electronic cigarette. My wife was a two pack a day smoker and has not had a real cigarette in over a month - she is totally on an e cigarette.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion