Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pit Barrel Cooker (Now with pics)

Pit Barrel Cooker (Now with pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:52 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Steven wrote:
We have a Pit Barrel Cooker at Barbecue University and we love it. Fingers crossed for the interview.

Steven,
I actually won mine on the barbecue central radio show and I have been using mine since October and I absolutely love mine. Noah has been great to work with and I follow him on twitter and he is very quick to respond to questions or favorite any pictures or replies that include his tag. Great american company.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:23 am
jhumpert well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Baaspro,

That barrel Cooker looks awesome, looks like thou could do a lot of food at one cook.

Like SC said, I would be worried if somehow the cook got away from you, you could lose some ribs from the bottom?

Yes you can, the grill comes with 8 hooks so you could hang 8 racks of ribs or 8 chicken halfs at the same time. Larger meats like brisket takes 2 hooks but you could only fit 1 big packer on the rack after foiling and that took up the whole rack, least mine did. I have done 2 pork butts at one time using 2 hooks each and was able to fit the both side by side on the rack after wrapping for another 90 minutes and they were done, and fit 2 flats side by side as well. Total time for a 14# packer was just over 3 hours and about the same for 2 7# flats and also 2 8# pork butts seperate cooks though.

The grill holds the heat so well that you could cook 1 packer thru the initial cook hanging then wrap for another 90 minutes and still have plenty of coal and heat left to run yet another 3 hour cycle for another packer no problem.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:45 am
BaasPro medium
medium

sroach wrote:
Like SC said, I would be worried if somehow the cook got away from you, you could lose some ribs from the bottom?

I expected to lose a couple of the bottom ribs because on the longer racks they might be hanging low enough to even touch the charcoal. But as they cook, the rack shrinks up and I didn't have any that were burnt and had to be thrown away. Kinda surprised!
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 am
BaasPro medium
medium

jhumpert wrote:
I had never heard the add only 40 briquettes to the chimney piece, how much are you adding to the basket before adding the burning 40 on top?

I've been filling the basket up and then removing the 40 briquettes from the basket to the chimney. Amber was kinda laughing about it on the phone, but she said somebody asked them how many briquettes to use so they counted 'em out. Customer service! It's been working for me, but it sounds like you're getting longer cook times than I am so maybe I should add 40 to an already full basket? Might try that tomorrow and see what happens, although it might not be a valid comparison because our temp has dropped big time over the weekend. Also, I've had some unlit briquettes in the basket after each session, so not sure if more unlit coals would really keep the temps up longer? On my last cook I did two Boston Butts. It took 5 1/2 hours to get them to 160 and that's when I wrapped 'em. And the cooker temp had dropped to exactly 200 degrees by that point. So I finished them in the oven (which I kinda planned to do anyway). On a couple previous cooks the temp stayed above 200-225 for about 7 hours but I had done things a little differently. It seems to be real sensitive to opening the lid for more than a minute or two. That jacks the temps up each time and they stay there. I'm trying to keep notes and temp graphs and hoping to do a blog post about my experience with this thing, but might be a couple weeks before I get to it. Anyway, I'm loving it. It's just so easy to use and clean up!
Last edited by BaasPro on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:02 am
jhumpert well done
well done

BaasPro wrote:
sroach wrote:

I expected to lose a couple of the bottom ribs because on the longer racks they might be hanging low enough to even touch the charcoal. But as they cook, the rack shrinks up and I didn't have any that were burnt and had to be thrown away. Kinda surprised!

Be;ieve it or not with my 14 # packer brisket I did on the Barrel, the end of the flat was literally sitting on the charcoal rack it was that big and absolutely none of it burned. Surprisingly the temperatures when thermapen'd at the flat where it was resting on the coals was around 8-10 degrees less than the point where it was hooked to the rebar. Temp at the point was 150 and the flat end that was resting on the coals was around 142 after 90 minutes. I pulled it at that point and wrapped it in foil and cooked it another 90 minutes and thermapen'd at 210 all the way across the point and flat. Talk about a good tender brisket with awesome flavor.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:08 am
BaasPro medium
medium

jhumpert wrote:
Be;ieve it or not with my 14 # packer brisket I did on the Barrel, the end of the flat was literally sitting on the charcoal rack it was that big and absolutely none of it burned. Surprisingly the temperatures when thermapen'd at the flat where it was resting on the coals was around 8-10 degrees less than the point where it was hooked to the rebar. Temp at the point was 150 and the flat end that was resting on the coals was around 142 after 90 minutes. I pulled it at that point and wrapped it in foil and cooked it another 90 minutes and thermapen'd at 210 all the way across the point and flat. Talk about a good tender brisket with awesome flavor.

Hope I have such good results with brisket tomorrow! One thing I did have trouble with was removing the Boston Butts from the hooks without tearing them up a bit. Seemed best to remove the whole bar and set the meat on a platter or something first. That got me thinking if there's any reason to hang the brisket instead of just using the grill grate? I'm just doing one, so it I don't need the extra capacity that hanging allows.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:10 am
jhumpert well done
well done

BaasPro wrote:
jhumpert wrote:
I had never heard the add only 40 briquettes to the chimney piece, how much are you adding to the basket before adding the burning 40 on top?

I've been filling the basket up and then removing the 40 briquettes from the basket to the chimney. Amber was kinda laughing about it on the phone, but she said somebody asked them how many briquettes to use so they counted 'em out. Customer service! It's been working for me, but it sounds like you're getting longer cook times than I am so maybe I should add 40 to an already full basket? Might try that tomorrow and see what happens, although it might not be a valid comparison because our temp has dropped big time over the weekend. Also, I've had some unlit briquettes in the basket after each session, so not sure if more unlit coals would really keep the temps up longer? On my last cook I did two Boston Butts. It took 5 1/2 hours to get them to 160 and that's when I wrapped 'em. And the cooker temp had dropped to exactly 200 degrees by that point. So I finished them in the oven (which I kinda planned to do anyway). On a couple previous cooks the temp stayed above 200-225 for about 7 hours but I had done things a little differently. It seems to be real sensitive to opening the lid for more than a minute or two. That jacks the temps up each time and they stay there. I'm trying to keep notes and temp graphs and hoping to do a blog post about my experience with this thing, but might be a couple weeks before I get to it. Anyway, I'm loving it. It's just so easy to use and clean up!

I actually emailed Noah the other day asking about how much to use and if I was using too much and I got an email back from Amber saying to fill the basket then take 40 from the basket to chimney. She said using that I should get around 7-8 hours of burn time. I had been filling the basket then filling the chimney without taking them from the basket and that is how I am getting 9-11 hours of burn time. When I do a clean out I have absolutely no unburned coals and I simply pick the basket up and beat it on the side a couple time to empty the dust out of it then take the basket out and go dump the remains in the backyard. Right now my barrel is under a nice very snug custom Pitbarrelcooker cover. That puppy is tight
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 am
jhumpert well done
well done

BaasPro wrote:
jhumpert wrote:

Hope I have such good results with brisket tomorrow! One thing I did have trouble with was removing the Boston Butts from the hooks without tearing them up a bit. Seemed best to remove the whole bar and set the meat on a platter or something first. That got me thinking if there's any reason to hang the brisket instead of just using the grill grate? I'm just doing one, so it I don't need the extra capacity that hanging allows.

Watch Noah's youtube video on brisket and trim all the deckle fat out like he shows then do the double hook method then I would hang it for the first 90 minutes then add the rack and use it after wrapping. I am going to flip the grill grate upside down so the handles are facing down next time I cook because I found with my 14# packer the handles actually popped my foil a little so I was loosing some juices but the brisket still came out nice and tender with lots of juice still left but still it was a slight inconvenience having the handles facing up.

As far as pulling butts I cooked 2 and had one hanging on each rebar with 2 hooks 1 on each end and I do believe I pulled the whole rebar then slid them off once I set it on a cookie sheet to take inside to wrap.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:29 am
jhumpert well done
well done

BaasPro wrote:
jhumpert wrote:

I have actually done 1 packer and 2 flats in one cook and hung both flats for 90 minutes then wrapped for 90 minutes and temps were around 200 when I pulled it then rested for 90 minutes and was at 175 when I sliced it and you could eat it without teeth it came out that tender. Using the barrel I have only had mediocre cook and that was the ribs I cooked on day 1 but that was just not knowing what I was doing and first time ever cooking on a barrel, since then I have had nothing but success with my barrel and I would recommend one to anybody all day every day.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:45 am
jhumpert well done
well done

BaasPro wrote:
On my last cook I did two Boston Butts. It took 5 1/2 hours to get them to 160 and that's when I wrapped 'em. And the cooker temp had dropped to exactly 200 degrees by that point. So I finished them in the oven (which I kinda planned to do anyway). On a couple previous cooks the temp stayed above 200-225 for about 7 hours but I had done things a little differently. It seems to be real sensitive to opening the lid for more than a minute or two. That jacks the temps up each time and they stay there. I'm trying to keep notes and temp graphs and hoping to do a blog post about my experience with this thing, but might be a couple weeks before I get to it. Anyway, I'm loving it. It's just so easy to use and clean up!

I am not sure why your butts took 5 1/2 hours to reach 160 because I have been pulling my stuff after 90 minutes and my temps are always around 150+ when I wrap only because my wife doesnt like a heavy smoke so I pull it a little early so she will eat it. I have never had a cook take longer than 3.5 hours and that was my 2 8.5# butts. My first packer was in for 3.5 hours only because I fell asleep and that came off at 210 degrees before resting.

As an experiment I wanted to see how well this grill did in the winter since Indiana has such harsh winters and the day I did my 2 butts the temperature outside was 12 degrees with a +5 windchill and the barrel worked like a dream. 2 brisket flats hung side by side in mid January and set side by side on the rack once wrapped only took 3 hours and they came off at 200. 90 minutes hanging and 90 minutes wrapped and steaming.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 am
BaasPro medium
medium

jhumpert wrote:
I am not sure why your butts took 5 1/2 hours to reach 160 because I have been pulling my stuff after 90 minutes and my temps are always around 150+ when I wrap only because my wife doesnt like a heavy smoke so I pull it a little early so she will eat it. I have never had a cook take longer than 3.5 hours and that was my 2 8.5# butts. My first packer was in for 3.5 hours only because I fell asleep and that came off at 210 degrees before resting.

I don't know, man. Here's the graph from the butts cooking, and I always verify the meat temp with a Thermapen to make sure everything is working right. This is the only one I've done without opening the lid at all to take a peak. But it seems representative of the other cooks I've done -- most of the time is spent in the 250-350 range, with the temps staying above 200 for around seven hours. It does sound like you were using more coals and maybe lighting more in the chimney than I've been doing, but perhaps our vent is set differently or the altitude had something to do with it? I'll definitely keep using the iGrill to keep an eye on things until I've seen the same results on different cooks so I confidently plan based on the times for various meats.
iGrill 3-14-14.jpg
iGrill 3-14-14.jpg (210.39 KiB) Viewed 749 times

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:06 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BaasPro wrote:
jhumpert wrote:

I don't know, man. Here's the graph from the butts cooking, and I always verify the meat temp with a Thermapen to make sure everything is working right. This is the only one I've done without opening the lid at all to take a peak. But it seems representative of the other cooks I've done -- most of the time is spent in the 250-350 range, with the temps staying above 200 for around seven hours. It does sound like you were using more coals and maybe lighting more in the chimney than I've been doing, but perhaps our vent is set differently or the altitude had something to do with it? I'll definitely keep using the iGrill to keep an eye on things until I've seen the same results on different cooks so I confidently plan based on the times for various meats.

BaasPro - how is the iGrill working for you? I'm interested in buying one this summer, but I've seen mixed reviews though they're generally positive.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:06 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

CharredGriller wrote:
BaasPro - how is the iGrill working for you? I'm interested in buying one this summer, but I've seen mixed reviews though they're generally positive.

I've loved it. My only complaint is that it uses batteries up way fast, but the Bluetooth interface with your iPhone or iPad is great. Alarms, graphs, etc. And in my experience the meat probe reads real close to the Thermapen so I feel I can trust it. Having said that, my wife accidentally smashed it yesterday and I'll be getting one of the newer versions in the mail next week...

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:28 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BaasPro wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:

I've loved it. My only complaint is that it uses batteries up way fast, but the Bluetooth interface with your iPhone or iPad is great. Alarms, graphs, etc. And in my experience the meat probe reads real close to the Thermapen so I feel I can trust it. Having said that, my wife accidentally smashed it yesterday and I'll be getting one of the newer versions in the mail next week...

That's a sad thing to hear. On the other hand, my ex would've said something like "You pay more attention to your iGrill than you do to me!", and then would have smashed it deliberately, or would have "accidentally" run it over in her car. :twisted:

Good luck with the newer version. I'd be interested in seeing what's changed, too. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Previous

Return to General Discussion