Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion "Sourdough" Homemade Rub

"Sourdough" Homemade Rub

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm
d_holck well done
well done

Am I the only one who takes the last remnants of the last rub and dumps them into the beginnings of the next batch? Making matters worse, I flex the recipe.... paprika, chili pepper, brown sugar, black pepper, salt.... but the bottom line is since I've got the leftovers in there as well my rub has evolved over time and I'm pretty sure it's beyond replication.

But I like it.

Is it just me?
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:17 pm
harry_canyon well done
well done

For whatever reason, I never mix batches of rubs. :)

Take care,

Derek
Always keep an open mind. But not so open that your brain falls out.

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I like "mother jars" - just dump the remnants together when they're no longer worthy of their own jar. I've got 1/2 gallon jar in my refrigerator for pickles and peppers. A pint for those last remnants of mustard that are hard to squeeze from the bottle or jar - usually turn into a mustard sauce once or twice a season. Also a pint for those last little bits of rub when there's not enough to get another use. I experiment and can get some interesting flavor profiles.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:00 am
Griffin well done
well done

I was doing ribs once and wanted to use a certain rub, but realized I was low. So I grabbed another rub...that one was low as well. So I combined the two and tossed in a bit of a third one and now I have what is the perfect rib rub for me. Just glad I measured them out so I can replicate it. Now I keep a bottle of that pre-mixed on hand. I'd hafta go look up the measurements when I get home, but its a blend of Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, Stubbs Rub and Fiesta Rib Rub (which by itself I am not a big fan of).

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:27 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

d_holck wrote:
Am I the only one who takes the last remnants of the last rub and dumps them into the beginnings of the next batch? Making matters worse, I flex the recipe.... paprika, chili pepper, brown sugar, black pepper, salt.... but the bottom line is since I've got the leftovers in there as well my rub has evolved over time and I'm pretty sure it's beyond replication.
Well, you could break it down with some tweezers and a microscope... :wink:

I've mixed rubs before, too, and haven't had the forethought to keep track of the recipes so that I could do the math later.

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'll often try to use up as much rub as I can to actually avoid doing this. Spices lose their flavor over time, so I try to go with a fresh batch whenever possible.

That isn't to say I haven't combined rub remnants from time to time, though. However, if I can I always try to mix similar rubs together. For example, I 've mixed the basic rub with the last of my Cajun spice and it turned out very well, but Steven's Black Forest rub and his Island rub don't mix well at all.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion