Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cooked ribs on Pit Barrel Cooker

Cooked ribs on Pit Barrel Cooker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:16 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

After Barry arrived today I was itching to do some cooking since I haven't gotten to for a while. I decided for my first cook on the new grill I would try cooking ribs. I went to the store and got 2.5 racks of pork spares and then trimmed them down to St Louis style just like Mike showed me. I then got the ribs ready to hang and got the charcoal ready in the chimney. After dumping the chimney I added 3 chunks of apple wood to the coals. The whole cook took around 4 hours or so and for a first time on a brand new cooker I have no experience with I think they came out pretty good. After munching on rib tip cuts prior to the main course being done we have lots of leftovers. I will put the progression below.

Ribs trimmed and hooks in place
Rebar in and wood chunks in ready for the meat
Ribs are hanging
One hour in
Off the grill and getting ready to cut after removing hooks
I actually got a small smoke ring
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:39 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Lookin good! Congratulations, again, on the new cooker and a successful first cook on it.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Got them a little dark but trial and error they are still edible. I want to retry ribs on my offset to see if I can get a better result with indirect heat and being able to spritz and wrap and steam to finish. I didn't have any apple juice today so I wasn't able to spritz and since I didn't have any apple juice I didn't wrap them and finish them in foil. This was not a planned cook by any means and was very much last minute. Next time I will try to be a little more organized with my planning.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:16 am
jhumpert well done
well done

On an interesting note, I just went outside to check the grill to see if it was still hot because I heard these things can go for 8 or more hours on 1 load of charcoal and the horseshoe handle was very warm but not too hot to handle and when I lifted the lid there is still smoke pouring out and there is still cherry red coals in the bottom. If I had to guess the temp is still probably close to 275 to 300 in there and could probably easily do another couple hour cook right now 8 hours after I started the ribs cooking.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 am
Griffin well done
well done

Sweet. I was wondering how long it would take you to fire that up after you got it. A bit surprised that you used smoke for the first cook. When talking with Noah, he told me that if I got one, to not use any wood the first time to see how it came out and then add in if I thought it was necessary.

One question, if you put the lid on when you are done and close the bottom vent, do you think its air tight enough that it would choke out the coals and allow you use them again the next time? Or once its lit they are all gonna burn until they are gone?

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:43 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice work, Jeff! IIRC, ribs were giving you trouble before so it looks like you're on your way to solving that problem!

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:33 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Sweet. I was wondering how long it would take you to fire that up after you got it. A bit surprised that you used smoke for the first cook. When talking with Noah, he told me that if I got one, to not use any wood the first time to see how it came out and then add in if I thought it was necessary.

One question, if you put the lid on when you are done and close the bottom vent, do you think its air tight enough that it would choke out the coals and allow you use them again the next time? Or once its lit they are all gonna burn until they are gone?

If you look at the pictures that I posted on the other post about this grill the vent is actually tightened with a screw and even with the vent completely close there is still about a 3/8" gap from the bottom of the vent to the bottom of the hole so there is no way to completely close it off. For areas that are at sea level to 2000 feet above sea level they show to set the vent at 1/4 of the way and if you close it all the way it is still about a 1/4 of the way. The picture I show is about a 1/4 of the way and you can see how much is still there open.

From what I have read once it is lit it is going until they burn all the way out. Basically it does minion method where it is burns below then keeps lighting as it goes. When I last checked it at 12:15 am some 8.5 hours after starting the coals it was still pretty hot and glowing and smoking.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:38 am
jhumpert well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice work, Jeff! IIRC, ribs were giving you trouble before so it looks like you're on your way to solving that problem!

Ribs the first time I tried them came out horrible, these at least came out better but still there is room for improvement. I want to try them on the offset next time to see if I can keep them moist by spritzing and finish steam with foil. I could have foiled and finished them on the wire rack but I didn't have any apple juice to steam with. Like I told Cactus this was very last minute and not very well planned out.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:06 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That is one fine looking smoker, jhumpert - congratulations on a fairly successful first cook! :cheers:

And with burn times of 8+ hours, I'd say that brisket or a couple of huge pork butts would work beautifully on that rig. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:36 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
That is one fine looking smoker, jhumpert - congratulations on a fairly successful first cook! :cheers:

And with burn times of 8+ hours, I'd say that brisket or a couple of huge pork butts would work beautifully on that rig. :D

Depending on how full you fill the charcoal basket I am sure would also be a factor in the time. I filled it all the way full plus dumped a chimney on to start the coals so that is why I still had heat 8 hours later. I am sure if you just wanted to do a quick cook you could just put a little charcoal to just cover the bottom and then dump a chimney would probably get you a couple hours.

I am wanting to try some different things to see how well they come out on the grill, I have even though about trying lamb but the only thing about that would be I would probably be the only one eating it because the wife would say it is too raw or too burned. She isn't too big of a BBQ fan so if I cook anything she usually doesn't eat too much of it.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:24 am
sroach well done
well done

jhumpert,

Nice looking ribs, I would imagine hanging them you have to make sure you catch them before they are "fall off the bone"

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:27 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

New cookers are always fun ... The learning curve, the experimenting, the satisfaction of a successful cook.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:55 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

sroach wrote:
jhumpert,

Nice looking ribs, I would imagine hanging them you have to make sure you catch them before they are "fall off the bone"

When you put the hooks in ribs you are at least 2 bones deep and even after 4 hours they were almost fall off the bone and never showed any signs of pulling lose. In fact I had to use the hook tool to break the hooks free. From a video I saw you actually take the hook tool down to the curve where it goes thru the meat then rotate the tool to pull the hook out which worked really well. If you go to YouTube and search for PitBarrelCookers they have around 15 videos and they show all kinds of meats that you can cook with the grill. Like I was saying I want to try lamb but I would probably be the only one eating it.

We actually took the leftover ribs to my niece that had the baby last week and they absolutely loved them.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:06 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Cactus1 wrote:
New cookers are always fun ... The learning curve, the experimenting, the satisfaction of a successful cook.

I would like to try a brisket or a couple pork butts on there and you can hook them for a couple hours then wrap them and finish them on the rack until they are done cooking. I am happy with how the ribs came out but I could have done things a little different if I had thought about it a little bit and planned ahead but for a first time and last minute thing it came out good.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:17 am
jhumpert well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:

Chargriller,
That is exactly what I am planning on, I have 2 8-9 pound butts in the deep freeze that I got at Sams today and also going to be calling butcher shop Monday where I get a lot of my meats to see about getting a nice 13-15 pound packer. I looked at briskets at Sams and all they had was flats for around 40.00 and I know I have bought packers for around that price so Sam got to keep the flats. The butts were 1.69/lb. in 2 packs so the one I got was around 27.00 and 18 pounds.

As far as seasonings I bought some Butchers BBQ Prime beef injection and then Prime beef rub also from Butchers. Pork I bought his pork injection which I will mix with apple juice which we picked up some today and then Butchers honey rub for the seasoning. I will also see how easily I can try to spritz the butts as they cook. We also bought a 500 foot roll of aluminum foil so hopefully I will be able to wrap a bunch of meat with those. They also had aluminum pans for 6.98 for 30 pans and I bought some of those. Really looking forward to seeing how the brisket comes out on the barrel. I also bought me a thermapen this week so looking forward to using that as well.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Next

Return to General Discussion