Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brisket on the Pit Barrel Cooker UPDATED (w/Pics)

Brisket on the Pit Barrel Cooker UPDATED (w/Pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jhumpert well done
well done

So I have already done ribs on Barry and they came out pretty good. I haven't done any brisket for a long time so I figured it was time to take care of that so I bought a 12 Lb. packer this afternoon. I trimmed all the deckle fat between the point and flat which pretty much ripped the point to shreds but it still looks pretty good. I then injected it with Butchers Prime injection using the following ratio:

3/8 cup of Butchers BBQ Prime injection for beef
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of Swanson low sodium beef broth

I injected all over the brisket point and flat trying to use a checkboard pattern, injected in the sides of the flat and in the sides of the point before putting it to bed in the fridge. Tomorrow after getting home I will pull it out and rub it with Butchers Premium rub before hooking it and cooking it on the barrel. I plan to cook hanging for 2.5 - 3 hours to get some color and apple smoke before wrapping it and cooking on the wire grate to finish cooking to 195. Here is the first pic for this series which is the trimmed and injected brisket ready to hit the fridge. I will add more pics tomorrow after rubbing and hooking and before wrapping and the finished product. Hopefully the Butchers stuff will work great for me and if so I have high hopes for the pork butts that I also have butchers injection and rub for them.

Today I started the grill around 11:15 and cooked the brisket hanging for 1 hour and 45 minutes then checked the temperature. Thermapen showed around 154 in the point and mid 140's in the flat so I went ahead and pulled it and wrapped it. After wrapping I cooked it an additional 1 hour and 45 minutes and checked the temps again. This time the thermapen was showing 205-210 all the way across the flat and point. I let it rest about an hour or so still foiled before slicing it up. When I tasted a little bit of the meat before I wrapped it I thought that I had gone overboard with the Butchers Premium Rub but after it was done and sliced up the meat was perfectly seasoned and I even got a rousing stamp of approval from the wife and she normally only complains about what I smoked on the grill.

Rubbed and hooked ready to smoke

Forgot to take pictures before I wrapped it so here is after it was done and rested and ready to slice

Here is the pile of sliced brisket

I even got a smoke ring

Here is the point all sliced up
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Save me some of the point, Jeff - looks great! Yes, once you get it sliced and mixed together what originally might've seemed like too much rub does a nice job of flavoring the inside.

Did you hang it by the point or by the flat? If it was point-hung the fat could theoretically baste the flat but the other way around could let the point protect the flat from heat coming straight up.

Does Barry have a drip pan? Because some of those brisket drippings would've made some killer fried potatoes!

jhumpert well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Save me some of the point, Jeff - looks great! Yes, once you get it sliced and mixed together what originally might've seemed like too much rub does a nice job of flavoring the inside.

Did you hang it by the point or by the flat? If it was point-hung the fat could theoretically baste the flat but the other way around could let the point protect the flat from heat coming straight up.

Does Barry have a drip pan? Because some of those brisket drippings would've made some killer fried potatoes!

Brad,
The brisket actually was hanging straight down by both the point and flat. The top hook went thru the bottom of the point then the flat was pulled back and hooked on the top hook then another hook was placed in the point and hooked to the top hook. Once I got it in the barrel the end of the flat was actually sitting right on the charcoal basket so I am surprised that the point was a higher temperature than the flat. When I wrapped the brisket in foil I added about a 1/2 cup of beef broth in the pan to steam it and there was not very much fat cap left on the back of the flat. The temps were around 210 when I took it off the grill and took it inside.

As far as the seasoning I had pulled a piece of the flat before I wrapped it and that had a kick to it but once it came out oh man it was absolutely awesome. Tammy even liked it and she usually doesn't eat much of what I cook but she flat chowed down on it and said if I can repeat that all the time then cook away.

There is no drip pan in the barrel as the charcoal tray sits in the very bottom and you cant have the rack in to catch drippings if you are hanging. But with pork butts I may be able to have the rack in to add a drip pan or steam tray with apple juice because the butts will hang sideways and should be fairly high in the barrel well above the rack level.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - it looks like you got it right the first time, Jeff. Great looking brisket! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

jhumpert well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Wow - it looks like you got it right the first time, Jeff. Great looking brisket! :cheers:

Thank you CG, I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with this barrel cooker. I had only had experience with my offset cooker and brisket was not my specialty for sure. I also think that Butcher BBQ Prime injection and premium rub also played a huge part in the success of this cook. I actually ended up using half of a bottle of the seasoning on the brisket and that ended up being perfect.

Next up pulled pork using Butchers Pork Injection and also Butchers Honey Rub. We are going to try the honey rub this evening on some country style ribs in the oven to see what we think of it and either one or both of the pork butts will get the honey rub based on what we think of it this evening.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Cactus1 well done
well done

Nice looking brisket. Didn't take you long to get the hang of that Pit Barrel.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

jhumpert well done
well done

Cactus1 wrote:
Nice looking brisket. Didn't take you long to get the hang of that Pit Barrel.

Thanks Larry, we really liked it a lot. I am impressed with how easy that barrel is to cook with, just add the charcoal, light it or add a chimney, add the meat then forget it for a couple hours. That brisket was done in right about 3.5 hours.
Jeff,
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Return to General Discussion