Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilling Apples

Grilling Apples

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:24 am
BaasPro medium
medium

The Ode to Apples post came at a great time for me, as we happened to have plenty of apples from our favorite orchard and some pork chops from our favorite pork farmers on hand. Great combination for this time of year! The first night I tried to grill the apples I left them on too long and they basically just fell apart when I tried to pull them from the grill. Things went better on night two. We just stuffed them with brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter and they were delicious when cooked indirectly with some apple wood.

Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice! I take it the pork chop was grilled over apple as well?

I don't care for apples but should try some sometime for the rest of the family.

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:36 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

BaasPro - That's a nice looking presentation. I like a crisper apple on the grill - some of the softer ones get to mushy.
Brad - An apple a day ...
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:38 am
BaasPro medium
medium

Cactus1 wrote:
BaasPro - That's a nice looking presentation. I like a crisper apple on the grill - some of the softer ones get to mushy.

Right on. And thanks. As mentioned above, the first attempt was a fail because they were too mushy to even get off the grill in one piece. These were awesome, but I'll try to pull them a few minutes earlier next time to see how that goes.
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BaasPro wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:

Right on. And thanks. As mentioned above, the first attempt was a fail because they were too mushy to even get off the grill in one piece. These were awesome, but I'll try to pull them a few minutes earlier next time to see how that goes.

There's a possible fix for the mushy apples. You can make a ring out of foil, or you can buy rings specially designed for the purpose. They really help hold the apples together.

I found these in Steven's store and they work well:
http://www.grilling4all.com/sm8033.html
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion